Monday, March 27, 2017

Hexies and Waiting To Be A Grandmother


We finally have taken the much anticipated four-hour drive to be there for the delivery of our first grandchild.  Of course any traveling involves a good road trip project so I grabbed a project involving hexies and handpiecing.  I just realized that there's a connection between this latest project and my first hexie and handpiecing project.



The above quilt was one I started around twenty years ago when I was a relatively new quilter.  At that time I loved Grandmother Flower Garden quilts which I thought was a quilter's rite of passage to make one.  I can't remember how I started but I think I purchased an initial package of 1" paper pieces and then cut my own from old stationery.  I did hand cut all the fabric hexies with my 30's reproduction fabrics and then basted what seemed like thousands but actually were only hundreds. I sewed them together to make the flowers and then was ready for the next round which would have been to cut and baste hundreds of more hexies for the reproduction green hexies which went around each flower.  By that time, I realized that the reason why the quilts were named Grandmother Flower Garden was because I was going to be a Grandmother by the time I finished this quilt.  So the flowers were put away for several years until I came up with the idea to appliqué them onto plain squares of muslin.  Then I finally came up with the layout which worked perfectly with the 30's reproduction plaids in my stash and the quilt was finally finished around five years ago.  I joked then that I still wasn't a grandmother.


And here I am in the hospital waiting room yesterday, during the 15 hour wait, sewing the latest hexies together into flowers, just like the first project. This time, the hexies and fabric were bigger and die-cut by my Accuquilt Baby Go and the flowers will be sewn together to make a one-patch hexie quilt.  Soon after this photo was taken, I'm finally became a Grandmother.   Stay tune for the details!

Linking up with Quilting is more Fun than Housework, Oh Scrap

7 comments :

  1. What a sweet scrappy quilt. Well worth the wait. :)

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia. I do plan on sharing again on Oh Scrap!. I do love my scrappy quilts.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Rose, that's wonderful! Can't wait to hear all the details about the new arrival! Your first quilt is lovely and I know this one will be too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige, the Grandmother Quilt won and the parents finally decided on the name for my sweet granddaughter: Micah Rose

      Delete
  3. What a fun post to read, and your hexie quilt is very nice! Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I am pretty certain there are going to be a lot of quilts in my sweet granddaughter's future.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful finish Rose! And by now I see you are a grandmother! Congratulations on the arrival! Enjoy these special times together!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.