Monday, April 10, 2017

The Bee-ginner Blogger Me

As a participant in the 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop* and a member of the first group from the Better Bloggers Hive to post an introductory post, Happy Monday and Welcome to my Blog where I love to share stories (or should I say explain) about my adventures in Quilting and Patchwork and sometimes some other type of craft.  I've been retired for four years now and it seems like I still don't have enough time to create all the things I want to do.   I'm always looking for ideas to reduce my fabric stash which I've been accumulating for many years.  My project list is long because I'm constantly inspired by what I see on other blogs, publications, Pinterest, etc. I do love Show and Tell and that's what I want my blog to be along with a good exchange of ideas and some quilter angst.

I've been quilting for twenty years but only have limited online experience. I've discovered Pinterest less than five years ago and thought that was the only thing I needed to do but I was so wrong.  I finally went on Facebook around four years ago and it started out with a bang.  Somehow while I was accessing the game Candy Crush which I wanted to try,  I inadvertently signed up for a Senior Single Group and started receiving requests from men to meet. Fortunately my then, future daughter-in-law, overheard me telling my husband that I'd received ten requests and I didn't know what to do, removed me from the site right away.  Since then, I've become leery of doing online anything because of my having the mindset that if I pressed the wrong key something that I don't want known will be sent out to cyberspace.

Last year, I've started thinking about starting a blog since I realized that I wanted more than Pinterest and the Facebook group I was in offered.  I needed to share more and needed a different platform so I could do some explaining.  After much encouragement and IT assistance from Susan Snooks of Patchwork and Play and from listening to a podcast in which a Blogger said that she had a blog because it kept her accountable, I finally started blogging last October. It's been a positive online experience and  I can happily say that my blog has given me a focus for my quilting and a depository for my creations and ideas.  It's the way I can mind my own busy-ness.


It was easy for me to come up with my blog name  Something Rosemade since it's an offshoot of my saying "Oh, it's something I made" and also sounding like handmade. I already had quilt labels made up with this name for several years, and, not to get sidetracked, I have a confession--very few of my older quilts have labels and I know it's a big no-no.  These labels make it a lot easier now to label my quilts and I've been better at sewing labels on my more recent quilts.

And speaking of quilts which is the reason for my bee-ing, I thought I share photos of these four quilts which are examples of my style.
Modify a pattern so I can use one of my die-cutters
Find a hand-piecing project which will use up a lot of stash and is something you can do while on many road trips
Wonderful fabrics with an easy pattern and simple quilting are my favorite quilts to make 
Sometimes I just like to make a simple art quilt or sew a small quilt
I like my quilts to be easy and at my age don't feel the need to be challenged with a difficult pattern. I try to finish everything I start, even if it takes several years and always allow myself to stop a project, especially if it's not time-sensitive, to start a new one.  I have to say that I love my fabric stash and have every good intention of using it up.  And also adding to this dream is having a studio with a gorgeous mountain view in Colorado.  Right now I have a wonderful studio but unfortunately is in the basement but affectionately known as Studio UP (Underground Palace)-- a view would be so nice.  But truth be told, any new studio with a view would have to be close to my new granddaughter Micah Rose, whose arrival made me realize there is no way I could move to another state.

Along with the many quilts I still want and need to make, there are still a lot of things I need to learn to improve my Blog.  It's still evolving and I still would like the graphics to look a little more polished and I know I need to spend some time learning Canva--but Patience and I don't play well together.  I'm not experienced enough to offer a blogging tip except to say that it's a great way to promote your blog by linking it with a link-up party.  There are link-ups, i.e, Crazy Mom's Finish It Up Friday, our own Hive Host, Beth's Main Crush Monday and other link-ups for each day of the week  so you can time your posts to fit into one of them. Blogging is a wonderful way to connect with other quilters, which I have, and I am glad I started my blog.  It's really has been a whole new world for me.  For someone who isn't very computer savvy, starting my blog was relatively easy and not too stressful.  Just like when I first started quilting, I had a little help from a friend which lead me to my wonderful quilting life.  The same can be said for blogging, I had a little help plus encouragement from my first blog friend, Susan Snooks to whom I would like to thank again.  And being a participant in the 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop  is only going to make my online experience even better.  It's all about making sure you're in the right group.  F.Y.I.  Instagram will be my next new experience; any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for visiting my blog and please visit my hive mates' blogs by clicking on their links below and leaving us a comment.  As our hive name suggests, we want to be Better Bloggers.

My Better Bloggers Bee Mates for this week are:

Amanda of Quiltologie

*The 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop is hosted by Yvonne @quiltingjetgirl, Leanne @shecanquilt and Beth @cookingupquilts. Thanks to the generosity of these threes hosts who are devoting their time, energy and experience to a group of fifty-four Quilt Bloggers, mostly newbees like me, I am learning how to improve or increase my blogging/online experience and knowledge.  It's kind of like a bootcamp but the leaders are nice and helpful and we're one big, happy group ready to share and cheer each other on.  Friendships have even been formed while the groups were warming up. And I had moments where I demonstrated my inexperience. There is absolutely no stinging allowed. Our wonderful hosts have also gather up a nice group of sponsors who are offering some real great giveaways for those who follow the 2017 New Quilt Bloggers.

Since the middle of March, the group  has been separated into three hives: Blooming Quilters (Yvonne), Let's Bee Quilt'n (Leanne) and Better Bloggers Hive (Beth)--my Hive!.  The Blog Hop has been scheduled to post on Monday for the following weeks:

Week 1:  April 10th
Week 2:  April 17th
Week 3:  May 1st
Week 4:  May 8th

You can read the other blogger's posts by clicking on the Blog Hop Hosts' links each Monday during the scheduled dates.  It's a great way to find new quilt bloggers to follow and, I'll mention it again,  be eligible for one of the many giveaways being offered for the 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop.

72 comments :

  1. Thank you for sharing and I love the quilts you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are adorable - love them!! You made me laugh out loud at your quilting angst comment - too funny, but I can completely relate ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha for visiting, I'm experiencing some angst with Bloglovin right now, I still love being on this Blog Hop.

      Delete
  3. What a great post Rose - so lovely to read more about you and see some of your gorgeous quilts!! It's been fun so far hasn't it? Advice for instagram - just post one pic at a time!! It really can be that simple and it is a wonderful source of support, help and encouragement, oh yeah and inspiration to add ever more projects to your to do list!! Happy hopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail, are you a Bloglovin expert? I'm really having some problems today. I may be posting an Instagram photo soon.

      Delete
  4. Marvelous post, your quilts are lovely. Visiting from the New Quilt Bloggers hop. Just keep posting, and talk about what you love. You can always go back and label those older quilts, even just your name and a date will be appreciated by those who see it in 100 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole for visiting. This Blog Hop has been wonderful, I enjoy meeting and following new Quilting Bloggers.

      Delete
  5. Such a fun post. Had to giggle at your Candy Crush delimma. Hahahaha! Sorry, it's still making me chuckle, obviously. I love all your quilts, especially that little birdie quilt. Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy, I may have more stories; Bloglovin is not playing well with me and I can't figured out what I did. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Rose, what a great post. I love your quilting style! Cotton & Steel is one of my favorites too. Your labels are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige, it's been great meeting and knowing you from participating in this group. They were definitely right when they say it's a great way to building a community.

      Delete
  7. Rose, thanks for sharing your story. I am excited to follow along with you, now that we are hive mates and problem children. We all need a problem sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Problem Sister, I have a problem with Bloglovin. Hopefully it can be fixed and I can share with you. After all that's what sisters are for. You're on for next week, right? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I love that Cotton + Steel quilt! And I too join in several linky parties! It's really a great way to get traffic to your blog! It's great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose, it's so great to read your story! Your Single Group story was hilarious. But even though you say you're not internet savvy, you sure have a beautiful blog here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz for stopping by and I am looking forward to reading your introductory post, I need to know where all your talent comes from.

      Delete
  10. What a great story Rose, I love Cotton+Steel as well, one of my favorites! It has been great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess for visiting. I love Cotton + Steel so much, just received several shipments today. Of course, I don't know what I'm going to do yet.....

      Delete
  11. I for one am happy that you entered "blogdom". I too find it much more pleasant than the fast paced and often scary Facebook. I am happy to live my life in the slow lane and blogging works for me too. Thanks for sharing part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, thanks for stopping by. Yes I'm glad we met on the blogdom too. I look forward to reading your blog my fellow fabric collector.

      Delete
  12. So cute! Hi Rose, So much great info here! I am like your discipline finishing projects as you go. I am also in this camp right along with you. I have loved getting to know you through the blogging sphere. I think you are a lovely person and I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah for visiting. It's been fun conversing with you and if it weren't for the Blog Hop we may have never met. I'm looking forward to your post, I know it's going to be a good one.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing your story. I do love the accountability of blogging and the new internet friends I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kathleen. This Blog Hop has been a wonderful learning experience for me and looking forward to finding new blogs and friends.

      Delete
  14. Blogging really does open up a whole new world, allowing us to meet people we otherwise never would have happened upon. I love it! I'm so glad you joined in the fun, and thanks so much for sharing your wonderful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth for stopping by and also for being a great Hive Host. I can see why we're in hives, I've been a busy bee today. This has been a great learning experience for me.

      Delete
  15. This is a lovely honest and interesting introductory post Rose. Just keep nonbeing your true authentic self and it will all fall into place. When I started only last year I found everyone was so willing to help and give advice, so never be afraid to ask. Have a great hop.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate for stopping by and also I need to give you another thanks for inspiring me to join the group this year. I read your post about your experience with the 2016 Group and gave me the impetus to join. The New Quilt Bloggers group is a great way to build community.

      Delete
  16. Nice job on your quilts! And stay away from Facebook!!
    cork@pa.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, I am so careful on Facebook now and especially when they try to entice me to play a game. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. Great to meet you, Rose! As a fellow beginner blogger, I'll enjoy following your journey and look forward to seeing your quilting projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I'm glad to have met you and seeing your projects. How are the bunnies doing? I'm looking forward to your introductory post.

      Delete
  18. You have joined a great group. I was in the group last year right when I started my new blog and it was one of the best things I ever did. I have made so many new quilty friends via my blog. It is a great platform for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true that this is a great group for new Quilt bloggers to meet. We were already connecting even before the blog hop started. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  19. Wonderful getting to meet you. I was in the 2015 new bloggers group and I still think it was the best thing I did. Instagram is a lot of fun too. I like it better than facebook. I don't even know what CANVA is but then I wasn't on facebook until I signed up for the new bloggers hop. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of things I didn't know and one of them is CANVA which some of my hive mates used to create our logos. The only new application I've learned is PicMonkey which I discovered reading from the 2016 group tips. This group is a great learning experience for me. Thanks for stopping by Lisa.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the shout out Rose! You made me blush..... Did you solve your bloglovin problem? I don't use it at all, so I'm no real help. I wish I lived closer so I could help you with your blog issues, although you teach me how you made your pretty header. ( I could then sneak some fabric scraps out without you noticing). I real love that little Art quilt! I don't think I've seen that before?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now you should know you inspired my header with your Dream Catcher quilt. It was so easy; I used PicMonkey which I learned about from reading the 2016 Blog Hop tips. I think there are some free features so you can check it out. As for the art quilt, I wish I could do more, it's a nice break from the big ones. And I did solve one of my Bloglovin problem, I realized I copy and pasted artwork instead of using a .png file. It only took me 6 hours to figure that out. Thanks for visiting and for making me be a blogger. There is so much to learn. P.S. And you can always sneak some fabric scraps from me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome to blogland! Nice to meet you. I did the New Quilt Bloggers last year and have only been quilting for a year so I'm sure there are things you could teach me! I love all the quilts you showed. Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice for stopping by; I am enjoying being in blogland. And I hope you keep up the quilting!

      Delete
  23. I have no Instagram tips, as I'm still a blog reader and the only other social media in which I participate is Twitter. But other people love Instagram, so I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Beth for stopping by. I enjoy Blog reading too. Hope you're enjoying the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rose I'm glad to have discovered you during this blog hop. Thanks for taking the plunge. Your quilts are wonderful.

    There is plenty of online help to assist you with your blog. This blog hop last year posted a series of blog help tips. Plus Abby from While She Naps blogs a lot of online use help tips. It's all a learning experience. Stay encourages and keep at it. If I can find the posts, I will post a link on your blog.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary for stopping by. I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm definitely going to look at a tutorial before I take the Instagram plunge. I hope you're enjoying the blog hop.

      Delete
  26. Thanks for sharing more about your journey. I'm glad you took the plunge and started blogging 😊. Your quilts are beautiful. As for instagram, my only tip will be for you to just jump right in, there's no right or wrong way. Once you begin to follow other quilters, you'll get the hang of it. Good thing you already have such lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice for visiting and for your lovely comments. I am looking forward to finally do Instagram. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who hasn't done it yet. Enjoy the blog hop.

      Delete
  27. It's lovely to learn more about you Rose and to see your quilts! I am glad you are enjoying the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne for stopping by and for being a Hive Host. Your time and commitment is very much appreciated and being in the blog hop is everything Yvonne, Beth and you said it would be.

      Delete
  28. Thank you so much for participating in the hop and it was wonderful getting to know more about you, Rose! I have found d that writing tutorials has really been fun and a great way to share and give back to the online quilting community. In fact, my old tutorial posts are what get pinned on Pinterest and viewed the most over time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. And guess how I found out about the Blog Hop. One of the quilters I follow posts on Facebook and had mentioned your Bundle Buster pattern which was at first only offered to your blog subscribers. I went on your blog and immediately subscribed and it really opened me up to a whole new world since I didn't read too many blogs. I purchased your pattern when it became available which I've already used for some blocks. But most important of all I am impressed and amazed of your energy and all of the support you offer to your followers. I am so glad and honored that you accepted my application to participate in this years Blog Hop because I've learned so much and really have met a nice group of fellow Bloggers. Thanks for all you do. I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful to meet you Rose! You'll definitely learn a lot through New Quilt Bloggers. I did my first time through and this year, even more so! Have fun. It's the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, thanks for stopping by. The blog hop is a wonderful way to meet and find new quilt bloggers to follow. I'm really enjoying the journey.

      Delete
  31. Hello newbie blogger! Isn't this blogging platform amazing? I love, love, love it. Did you know you can share your blog posts to Facebook too? If you haven't done it already, you can make a Facebook page for your Something Rosemade blog. You have to "push" the posts to that page but it gains another audience.
    I agree with you too on the use of wonderful fabrics, easy patterns and simple quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and the story about the singles signup - cracked me up!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tami for visiting. If I try the Facebook page, I better have my DIL with me just in case, ha ha. But truthfully, my FB is private and not public so I don't think it would attract another audience just my family and friends who mostly are not quilters but like to receive quilts.

      Delete
  32. Welcome to blogging! Isn't it fun? I'm participating in the hop again this year, but I'm a grizzled veteran now, as I've been blogging for a year and a half.
    My Instagram suggestion is to learn how to use hashtags - that is how new people find you. Michelle has a great guide to Instagram for Quilters at http://www.michellebartholomew.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen for visiting. It is fun discovering new blogs and the blog hop is a great way to find other Quilt Bloggers. And thanks again for the instagram tip, I'm definitely going to check it out.

      Delete
  33. I loved reading about your quilting and your journey towards blogging. I love you quilting style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanda. It was great getting to know you through the Blog Hop and looking forward to following your Blog.

      Delete
  34. from one newbie blogger to another...’Hello’ I too have a lot to learn and I admire the way you are pushing your boundaries. I look forward to seeing more from ‘Something Rosemade’ in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Diane, thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it. Being on the Blog Hop and with a wonderful group has really made this an enjoyable learning experience. Plus all the new quilt blogs to read--I love it. I, too, am looking forward to reading your Blog "Cwilt" in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Below is the from 2016 New Blogger's Info Guide. Hopefully there will be some usable information to help you with your blog.

    http://patchthegiraffe.blogspot.com/2016/06/bedazzling-blogger-new-blogger-info.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks Mary, I just checked this out and it is great info--something I can definitely use. I appreciate you sending me this link and for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice to "meet" you! My best tip for Instagram is to follow a lot of people in the beginning. It will help you to see what kind of content people post (and what gets the most likes) and also to see how they use hashtags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah for visiting and I appreciate your Instagram tip. I definitely need to follow more quilters on Instagram. Two isn't a lot, is it.

      Delete
  39. I love your labels! Your blog is fun to read, I will be back! Your facebook/single senior story has me giggling!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily for visiting. This Blog Hop has been a fun experience.

      Delete
  40. Rose! I did not read this until now, when I first went to see your Freefall leaves (which I will go back to and comment) because I went into a couple of rabbit holes thanks to that Freefall link up post! I can relate to SO much of what you talk about here (btw LOVE your sense of humour). Welcome to the wonderful world of QBL (a couple of years ago, Helen of Midget Gem Quilts and I somehow coined that acronym: Quilt or Quilting BlogLand) when we were in the New Bloggers Hop. Isn't having a grandchild just incredibly WONDERFUL? Sadly I DID move to another province...sniff. Thank god for FaceTime. As for Instagram, come on in! It's easy (I am also on Snapchat because of Tish and my two daughters, not nearly as user-friendly). As for a tip, I googled everything when I was figuring out Instagram, and always ask a friend or daughter who is on, as they are invaluable. :-) Now heading back to your Freefall post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I promise I'll try Instagram. I do love being QBL, you do meet a lot of wonderful quilters there. BTW, your blog is one of the first ones I pinned on my Pinterest Board and to show you how challenged I was, I assumed that I would automatically receive your posts. Thank goodness I came across your Llama post. I finally am a true "follower".

      Delete
  41. Hi Rose! I'm with you on the "wonderful fabrics, easy patterns and simple quilting"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Nancy, thanks for visiting. Glad to have met you on the Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.