Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Another February Finally Finish: Pinky

I started the Pinky quilt during the first week of January which is a good time of year to make a quilt with bright, happy colors to celebrate the new year and to help me forget the cold, dreary weather outside. Also, another reason for making this quilt was the commitment I made this year to finally use my stash of Tula Pink fabric which I've been collecting for several years now and I was, in my mind, at risk of being issued a citation by the Tula Pink enforcers for fabric abandonment.  As soon as I finished the top, I had to set it aside for other projects and finally was able to finish this quilt this past Saturday. I thought I should explain why I named this quilt Pinky which is no disrespect to Tula Pink's name, since I don't like being called "Rosie". I first was going to name it Totally Tula, but realized  since this quilt is a variation of the Slinky quilt I finished last year, Pinky seemed fit better.

  
This quilt measures approximately 56"x76".  The squares were cut 4-1/2" and the solid Mint strips were cut 4-1/2" wide and the lengths were cut in 4-1/2", 8-1/2", 12-1/2" and 16-1/2" increments.  I used my two Chipper charms packs and trimmed them to 4-1/2" which is a good thing I did since none of the squares were a consistent 5" square as they should be. After my squares were trimmed and additional 4-1/2" squares were cut from my stash, I put them in an order so that it was easy to put them up on my display board. After the first four rows were up, I could see that Pinky lacked any spark or energy.  I didn't take a photo so you will have to take my word that the quilt was going to be lifeless but then it's a good thing since there's no proof of this attempted misuse of beautiful fabric and I could have been banned from ever using Tula Pink fabrics again by the you know who enforcers.
I don't understand why my initial batch of squares did not include the Queen Elizabeth head print nor the orange Tabby Cat print nor the bright green silouhette print. I also added some squares from more current fabric lines like Spirit Animal.  Truth be told, I don't like fussy cutting but really should have for these prints. After these much needed squares were added to the mix, this quilt finally had some spark.
I think it also helped, that unlike the Slinky quilt, the Pinky rows were offset unevenly on each  side which, pardon the mention of the fabric line, added to the "Free Spirit" feel and look.  Even though I had to refigure my layout, I think it was worth it.  Because the rows were offset, I did not add the top and bottom borders since I thought it would look funny.  The solid Mint fabric was the perfect complement to the many prints used and was included in a Tulip Pink kit which I purchased from Craftsy many years ago. Yes, I'm guilty of buying kits just for the fabric and no intentions of using the pattern especially when it goes on sale.
Here are some close-ups of the squares and the wonky loops I quilted with the perfect Essential thread I had in Mint.
Since I started a new fabric fast this year, I had to break it when we were in Texas last month where I found this Art Gallery print on sale for 50% off; I knew it would be perfect for Pinky. The fabric I already had, which was just okay, will be returned to the backing vault to wait for another quilt. I did use a Tula Pink fabric for the binding.
More often than not, whenever I have a finally finish, you can bet the weather is not going to co-operate for taking outside photos.  I should let the local weather reporters know that I could help them with their weather predictions by telling them if I have a finally finish quilt I want to photograph. I was ready to post with just inside photos of the quilt, which most of them are, but thankfully, Monday's weather allowed me to take a photo of Pinky on the front porch. Posting just doesn't look right if an outside photo of my quilt is not included.
Here's a photo of the layout for the Pinky Quilt, the top layout is based on 5" cut squares and would measure 60"x76" and the bottom one would be for 4-1//2" cut squares which is the one I used.  The numbers at the end of each row is the finished size for the setting strips and the numbers in the middle refers to the number of squares needed. I know I'm going to make more of these, especially with all of the charm packs I have in my stash and, of course, my partners in quiltmaking, my die-cutters.  To add to the "Inky" theme of these quilts which I seem to have started, if I make them crib size, they're going to be named "Binky".  I really don't think there won't be a "Kinky" or "Stinky" version though.

The only good thing about this cold weather we're having for the past weeks is that it makes for some good sewing time.  My SewJo has returned and yesterday's yarn yearning has been tempered down a bit. I sure can't wait for Spring and sunshine or as I sometimes refer to as good photo-taking weather.  The Master Quilt Holder doesn't like standing out in the cold, especially this Winter.

Linking up with:  My Quilt Infatuation NTT

17 comments :

  1. I have the same weather issue. I have one I need to photograph and it's going to be cloudy for a few days. I love the mint in your quilt. I also happen to think the name is quite fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just realized how many I statements I just made. You did a great job! Your choice of mint was perfect! And...You are not the only one with a weather issue. Much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your Pinky quilt--thanks for sharing the working dimensions--I have put this on my list of quilts to use up my charms...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely quilt! The mint goes perfectly with all the Tula fabrics, really makes things shine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a gorgeous quilt Rose! I think the fuusy cut squares added to the overall look to help focus the eye. Perhaps your next one in the series could be called Blinky after Blinky Bill an Australian book character. You might need to look him up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep reading the name as Plinky (Slinky + Pinky, maybe?) I think I need more coffee! Love this quilt with that yummy background fabric and that burst of color down the middle. We are, once again, getting record snowfall, expecting up to 9 inches today, with more coming this weekend. So batten down the hatches, it might be coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mint green background is perfect for Pinky! But now my brain wants to think Mint + Pinky = Minky, yet I know that means a fuzzy backing that this super cute quilt does not have. See what you've started with these names? Mass befuddlement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this quilt. You are so right about the 5” squares not being 5”.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rose! Perfect, perfect, PERFECT use for all those saved, special Tula Pink fabrics. Yes, I do believe I heard a rumor that the Pinksters were out and about, enforcing fabric abandonment charges. I'm glad you were not part of the sting. I'm looking forward to the next in your Inky series - a black-inspired one might just be called for as the namesake, baseline model. I hope some Micah time is in your near future. That will certainly make you forget about Spring being only four weeks away. Those 28 days will just snap by in a flash. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful quilt! It looks simple but then the stagger adds great interest. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt, Rose! Your narrative made me smile and laugh. How about a Twinkie? I'd love to make a quilt using your formula. My Tula fabric is feeling neglected as of late, also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish you were here Rose!! I should be here for a week. 4 solid days of conference and then a few days with my sweetie her in country music land. Can't decide if Austin is on next year or Huston TX or somewhere else... Hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love love this quilt. It just goes to show that simple shapes does not a simple quilt make. And I really like your quilting. I think a little kid just might like a Stinky quilt. Or even a big kid. Just sayin'. Winter photo shoots this year are only for the brave or super hardy. I do like that we've had sunshine the last few days. It makes indoor photos almost doable. The downside is that the sun on the snow makes it bright enough that all the indoor dust shows up everywhere. (I'm trying to ignore it.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This looks great and that background solid is PERFECT! Seriously perfect. I do like your comment about helping out the local meteorologists--I feel your pain on that one. So glad your sew-jo is back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this! Now I get the Pinky reference (hours later) from your squirrel post!! I have to make one of these, and I've bought a Craftsy kit in the past and made a different pattern with it too! Especially those on sale. :-) I chortled at Kinky and Stinky... I do think my Playtime Plus adult version could have one of those titles perhaps ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am curious how many squares you needed to cut from yardage in addition to the 2 charm packs you used.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.