Thursday, January 18, 2018

Sharing and Merrily QAL-ing This Week

It's been a busy and productive week for me which should be expected when you promise to write a tutorial and also are participating in three QALs.
Last week, I posted my Hinto Minto Baby Quilt (you can read about it here) and mentioned that the next time I made this pattern I would write a tutorial.  I thought the better of myself so I did a sort of tutorial now than later while the pattern was still fresh in my mind and I had some leftover fabrics to recreate part of the tutorial.  I wanted to share this pattern so you can see how easy and fun it was to make this quilt. (you can see it here, The Staggered Strips & Squares Sort Of Tutorial)

And here are some updates for my QAL-ings:
My Whitewater River Rafting Quilt, a.k.a. the Regatta Quilt Along, (you can read about it here), top is finished and I hope to quilt it next month.  It was nice to make this quilt with Amy Ellis' Modern Neutral fabrics leftover from another quilt and with Marcus Bros Aged Muslin in denim blue.
The Classic Meets Modern QAL hosted by My Quilt Infatuation, (you can read about it here) started this week and I completed the first two blocks, the 24" Bethlehem Star and the 12" Antique Tile using Zen Chic's Figures fabric. Knowing that I'm a strips and squares kind of quilter, I bet you can guess which one of these two blocks was my favorite to make and took less than an hour while the other one took me over three hours and gave me the angle-challenged quilter an exercise on staying focus.  I only had to use the seam ripper three times.  I'm looking forward to making the other blocks and it's going to be an interesting quilt.
The Squiggles QAL hosted by Christa Watson also started this week, (you can read about it here)  and fabric choosing and preparation was the goal. I've chosen to use my stash of Blueberry Park fabrics and you can see I already started making some of the blocks.

So far in January, I'm doing well on my project list but not for long since I'll be traveling starting next week, hopefully to a warm spot.  I'm going to try to tackle one more project on my list and then  decide on a hand project for the road before we leave.  I don't know why I always wait until the last moment to decide this when this trip has been planned for awhile.  I should have put it on my project list.

I hope you're having a great January and are staying warm.  I will say this cold weather we're experiencing in the Midwest is great for staying home to sew.

17 comments :

  1. Love your CMM blocks, and your other projects as well! You have lots going on!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, this all looks terrific. I did cut squiggles, hope to blog tonight or tomorrow. I love the Classic Meets Modern blocks. You are doing so well! I had a few days to myself, so I did some catchup and getting ahead as I have 3 things due for February-in addition to a bit of work that month. My goal is to be nearly done with it all by Feb 10, so as the office move happens I can focus on that. Sheesh... have a great time in the warm and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore your version of the regatta quilt and your other QALs look great too! I'm a huge fan of blubbery park fabric so I'll be interested to see how your squiggles quilt comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your version of the regatta quilt is more than creative! You've been a very productive girl this month already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose I love the blueberry park. You have made great progress this month. Hope you have safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are just clipping right along with all those QALs, Rose! Meanwhile, Shopping Sister has been going a little slower (and shopping). My Squiggles is cut out and I may start sewing this weekend. Regatta is still in the wings, due to my indecisiveness. I think I have a pack of Blueberry Park fat eighths in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many exciting projects going on here! I love each and every one of them!!!! I always do the last minute thing with travel, too! I think it's because I prefer the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, You have a lot going on! You don't need a plate, you need a platter! I love the subtle texture of the Hinto Minto. It is such a soft palette and the quilting really does it justice. My favorite though are the Squiggles blocks. I am tempted with this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For quilt alongs that have just started, you are making some pretty serious progress on them. Love the background fabric you chose for your Regatta Quilt. I love how the printed strip fabrics play on it. I'm going to live through you on the Classic Meets Modern QAL. It's taking everything not to drop everything and start stitching those blocks. Yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of quilt-alongs! And you're making great progress on all of them, I'm so impressed. That Whitewater River Rafting quilt looks so cool, and seems a great use for a prized jelly roll. I can't wait to see your next updates on these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been intrigued by the Classic Meets Modern QAL. I have enough going on already tho so I think I will just enjoy watching what others make with it! The quilt pattern looks great tho!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good lookin' pieces here, Rose! Your Regatta top came along quickly and turned out great. I hope you can warm up on your upcoming trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moly you certainly are a machine! Feels good to have that extra push sometimes, doesn't it?! I know I always say I work well under pressure, and it's true; it makes me put blinders on so to speak and focus this scattered menopausal brain of mine, lol. Love the Hinto Minto, and where did I see your version of the Regatta quilt? Probably on her site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, we are warm down here! You have lots on the go there Rose! Happy sewing! I need to check some of these QALs out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, lots of exciting projects underway at your house! I love what you are doing with the 'blueberry park' fabrics. And we are experiencing a very hot summer here in NZ, temperatures 28 - 32c!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is so much activity in your studio, Rose, that I am breathless just trying to absorb everything. Love all the fabrics in your stash. I wish you all the best in all your pursuits.
    No, I am not participating in any QALs this year. But I am writing a tutorial. No more details at this time :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.