Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Plus Playtime Quilt-A Finally Finished and A Parade

This Friday, (July 6th), is the final link-up for the Plus Playtime QAL hosted by Sandra of mmm Quilts where the many participants will be parading their finished quilts. I previously posted my flimsy last month and provided the details on the quilt, my fabric selection and the fun I had making the quilt.  
I didn't start the machine quilting until Monday evening after my granddaughter left after an almost week visit and I'm happy the quilt was finished in time for the linkup.  The quilting didn't go as quickly as I would like but that what happens when you decide to do straight line quilting 1/2" apart.  (Note for myself: don't do this quilting ever again for large quilts) The texture is nice but the distortion wasn't and squaring it up was a challenge. Let's just say, my Playtime Plus quilt is a friendly and happy quilt because it waves at you.  I'm sure the quilt will lay flatter once I spend some time blocking it with T-pins on the floor, which presents another challenge, keeping the four dogs off of it.  I still want to hang it up on the wall but will be just as happy to make it what the QAL was originally intended for--an adult play mat and no way a dog mat.

I am loving the colors of this quilt and am glad I found the gold confetti print which picks up all of the colors in the small pluses. I chose a royal navy thread for the quilting and the backing is a navy fabric with gold specks from my stash. The blue binding is the same fabric used in one of the backgrounds and yay for machine sewing the binding again.
Be sure to check out the other quilts on the linkup. I've already seen some of them and let me say none of them are friendly as mine (wink). And one last photo of my very happy quilt waving you Good-bye!  For those of us in the States, I hope you are having a very enjoyable holiday week and a Happy 4th.

14 comments :

  1. Long may she wave! Or not. It is beautiful and that distortion is a problem. I haven’t done one but I think I would stabilize with a few big lines than do the smaller sections. I think you just have to block. I guess the dogs will have a lovely play date with you while you keep the off the quilt! I have one to do when I get back to MA and my husband isn’t home; I can use the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may have been hard to quilt, but I like the look of the straight line quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, quilt! (waves back) You sure are gorgeous! A bit of blocking and you'll be standing up straight enough to be a proud wall quilt. I love the texture of all those straight lines, like crinkle cut potato chips...yum! Congrats on this wonderful finish, Rose. I haven't started quilting mine, so I won't be part of the final link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous quilt! I love how the colors just pop! As for the waving, I don't notice it much. My quilts probably all wave, for all I know! Haha. Once you've blocked it, and then cuddled under it for movies, etc. the wave will be history! I'm with Louise, and having started quilting mine. Okay, I don't even have the backing yet. True confessions. Too many squirrels running in my quilting room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! I think the gold was a perfect choice for the beautiful colors! Love it! I'm a huge fan of straight line quilting, and I hope after blocking yours will be just as you want it! Regardless...It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt, Rose! I love your colors. And the matchstick quilting is over the top! It was a great choice for such a modern quilt. It is perfect from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow are you ever on a roll Rose! I have loved this quilt from the get-go, but seeing it quilted is a whole 'nother level, and then the close-up with the navy on the back made me think this one would be INCREDIBLE (I yelled that) in person! Ya, no wall for this one, but a couch, maybe a hot chocolate or hot toddy or wine round about October methinks... Thank you so much for participating in my second QAL and for such a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Plus quilts in all different ways. The colors are so rich in this version. Love your attitude that this is a friendly quilt waving at you! Congrats on a finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rose! Yay to a finish, especially with Ms. Adorable around. I love the straight line quilting, and you may see the exact same thing on mine tomorrow. I've already pulled the fabrics for the next, bigger version for a good friend. {{Hugs}} to help you over the Micah withdrawals. Happy Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your rich saturated colors, Rose. Straight line quilting is the perfect accompaniment to the modern plus pattern. Congratulations on a fabulous finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Rose. Love your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happily waving at your quilt from Canada. It's a fun quilt. The gold picks up the other colours so nicely. Hope your holiday was great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful quilt. Love all the pluses (big and small) and the blue background. That quilting is amazing. I too had trouble squaring mine.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.