Sunday, August 26, 2018

August DrEAMis

DrEAMi
When Squirrels Scream
Make Me Now!

With August almost another month gone for the year and my To Do List magically transformed to a TaDa List, I finished two tops which I am saying are DrEAMis since they definitely weren't planned this month.  The Squirrels are alive and running around the studio, some happily hibernating in the project bins and some just lurking and prodding around me while I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Two Squirrels screamed at me during the past two weeks, my Slinky Quilt and my DS Strip Quilt, both flimsies and finished in time for this month's link-up hosted by Sandra, mmm Quilts.
First up is the Slinky quilt, originally referred to as the Firehouse Quilt since my oldest son, the Apprentice Quilt Holder, asked me earlier this summer if I would make him a new quilt for the Fire House and besides the usual requests of no pink or purples and appropriate prints, he wanted it warm and long.  I finished this top last night and let me say for such a simple quilt, I never used my seam ripper so much. This quilt measures 64"x92" and uses the one charm pack and yardage of Amy Ellis' Chic Neutral fabrics which were leftovers from another quilt made last year and my stash of gray Aged Muslin.  I had originally set side this these fabrics for another QAL and thought it would be perfect for the Slinky Quilt.  I didn't come up with the name for this quilt until after the rows were assembled and I thought the quilt looked like a caterpillar. I'll spare the details on the making this quilt for another post after the quilt is a finally finished which should be soon since Fall is in the air.
And finally, my last DrEAMi top which is truly a Squirrel and I named it Gee Whiz since this was totally an unexpected make and it also reminds me of a Gee Bend quilt.  This is quilt is made up of a charm pack of Denyse Schmidt's New Bedford fabrics and yardage of her Chicopee fabrics with some added black from my stash.  These fabrics have been on my mind for awhile and back in May when I came across them I decided I would finally cut them up into 2.5" strips and make another Ernie quilt. I changed my mind and made two types of strips blocks and couldn't decide on a layout even after ripping apart several times these blocks and decided to put them away. While finishing my quilt for this weeks's Fabulous Freebies Blog Hop, which involved only sewing down two sides of the binding, I happened to walk past my cart which holds my projects and saw the Gee Whiz blocks and immediately saw how these blocks should be laid out. Wouldn't you know it, I stopped what I was doing and put the blocks on my design board and sewed up this  top.  This top measures 48"x72" and again will provide more details on another post once this top is a finally finish.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to throw this top, meaning I'll going to back it with gray Minkee which I already have.  I was going to do this but then Slinky came along. 

I hope but am pretty sure I was not the only one for whom the Squirrels screamed at this month.  I'm looking forward to a Screaming Squirrel September.

15 comments :

  1. Congratulations Rose on your finishes. I love that Chic Neutral fabric. Can hardly wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one scary squirrel! Not your quilts, though--they're fun and modern! I love how you work, Rose. You're very in tuned to your whimsical feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Screaming squirrels...made me laugh, but then it hit me...exactly right! I love both quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed that your squirrels end up as big quilts! I especially like your Gee Whiz quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you got a lot done on these two. I heard a squirrel, but he is still sitting on the cutting table right where he needs to stay for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rose! I had to come see your squirrel photo because Sandra spoke so highly of it!! Thanks too for sharing the perfect pic for her to use. I have trouble to getting to blogspot blogs at work lately, which is severely cramping my style (and reading/commenting). Hopefully that will be resolved soon. Anyhoo - fabulous squirrels for this month!! I just LOVE Slinky quilt. I can see this in a firehouse - perfect colors for your son. Not a feminine thing about it, really, and the pops of yellow are so perfect. Hmm, how are you quilting it and what's going on the back?? Gee Whiz is so darn nice as well. Those three little pops of light blue sure draw your eye in for a good look! Nice job and I can't believe you are saying fall is in the air. NOT HERE!! It is 90 and the dew point is 76. YUCK. Happy Sunday, friend! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you obviously have some really fun squirrels in your sewing room, that's for sure! I like both of the quilts and your descriptions of how they came to be. Can't wait to see which squirrels are peeking out of your project boxes and calling your name next . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that gee whiz quilt also. The colors are so interesting and not something I might have put together. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking tops, Rose! And I love that phrase, To-Do list becoming Tada! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get so much done it makes my head spin! I have so many squirrels screaming at me I can't hear myself think, but I don't seem to get them done or even started! And we haven't seen any hint of Fall except for the crickets. I will be much more productive when it cools down - wink! Thanks for sharing these wonderful finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have found that too, that on the simplest of blocks, I either rip or miss matching points, and on the trickiest ones with teeny points I hit 'em almost perfectly every time. Gee Whiz, Slinky and Minky backing, you're on a roll with the crazed squirrels. Don't you love it when you suddenly 'see' a quilt and good for you you did a DrEAMi! You do the most wonderful things with colour Rose! Thanks for linking up and I love your screaming squirrel graphic! Better than my placid little guy on the button!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job with a few squirrels! I had the same experience with my seam ripper on Tish's block 1. Can't tell you how many times I remade it. I love it when someone just goes with an idea or request. Yours are terrific! I am sure the Apprentice Quilt Holder is happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who knew a screaming squirrel could lead to slinky caterpillar :-D Love the modern look with yellows/grays and uneven rows. Beware of the squirrels lurking in bins but if this is the outcome, I'd be sure to leave some nuts around...

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both fun fun fun quilts. I look forward to reading more about them when they are done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Came over to find out what Sandra was going on about. Stayed to read about your fun projects. Love them both, both perfectly named. Someone needs to plug that squirrel's hole with an acorn so the rest of us can get on with our planned projects! lol

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.