Wednesday, October 31, 2018

My Fall Preparation

I've been away from my blog for several weeks now, mainly because of my Granddaughter Micah's visit earlier this month and then our trip to Washington, D.C. last week.  The title of my post is a little tongue-in-cheek since it doesn't have anything to do with decorating for the Fall season even though I've included a photo of one of my favorite wallhanging from a Jan Patek pattern done raw appliquéd in the style of Sarah Sporer finished in the last Century.  Rather, it has to do with my being laid up for the next five to six weeks because of a fractured knee cap which I suffered in the first hour of being in Washington D.C.  No, I was not on my iPhone but tripped over an uneven sidewalk walking to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.  The pumpkin in my wallhanging really reflects how I feel right now.  The reason why this post is titled My Fall Preparation is because after the accident and having a brief pity party, I realized that my past decisions and activities have prepared me for this temporary hiatus from the downstairs sewing studio due to my unfortunate fall.
Before the interruptions of the granddaughter visit and the vacation, I finished my October blocks for the Classic Meets Modern QAL and the Fireburst Mystery top hosted by Tish in Wonderland.  The remainder of the CMM top consists of only the filler blocks and very unlike me, I've already precut them and can now be sewn on my upstairs sewing machine in my almost formal sewing room, aka, the dining room.
I also started two 2x4 projects, one made with Moda's London Calling fabrics and one made from a  RJR Pie Making Day jelly roll and I can also continue sewing the blocks upstairs.
What was intended as a road trip project, the Happy Flowers EPP inspired by Rene' Creates is now a great project to do and will keep me busy for awhile laying either on my recliner or on my adjustable mattress bed which we thankfully purchased last year.  It really has been put to great use this past week and boy is Tiffany Haddish funny.
And other past activities which contributed to my Fall Preparation is I recently finished my son's quilt so he's been very helpful and even photographed the pumpkin wallhanging for this post.  Best past activity of all for my Fall Preparation is marrying my hubby almost forty-five years ago and he's has been more than helpful and absolutely wonderful.  I'm pretty sure he, the Master Quiltholder, is going to be able to navigate my downstairs sewing studio, if I draw him a good map to find the sewing projects I need upstairs.  Thankfully, I keep all of my projects on a cart so it's going to be easy for him, I hope.  Maybe, a future plan would be to teach him how to sew but that would be asking too much, right?
Like my dear friend, Dee, who said "God must have wanted to slow you down for a reason", I have to admit I'm really catching up on some major zzzz's now and there won't be any late night quilting till the A.M. for awhile.  I made a very abbreviated stop at Dee's house near Cleveland, OH on the way home from D.C. to gift her the Gee Whiz Quilt.  We became fast friends in 2016 right before the World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians and I still feel a little guilty about winning the great quilting bet of a layer cake of Pat Sloan fabric.  Most important, we stayed friends. (can you see my Walker next to me--I named her Sandra for you know who--pun intended).
I don't think I will be posting for awhile now since I only do when I have some sort of finish which usually happens in my studio downstairs. I definitely will be reading other bloggers' posts which will make the healing time go by nicer.  I will say that I'm moving up and down the stairs to the second floor is pretty good using my derriere and legs, (who would have thought I's be reusing those toddler skills now) so maybe in a couple of weeks I might be tempted to venture downstairs to the studio.  The first step might be the trickiest and definitely Hubby will need to be around.  
I hope everyone has a Happy Halloween today.  Usually I don't want or say this at this time of year, but I'm really looking forward to the holidays and December coming quickly when hopefully my knee will be healed.  Wish me well!

Linking up with: My Quilt Infatuation, NTT

14 comments :

  1. Oh no! I can't imagine how painful it is to fracture your kneecap! I wish you a quick recovery and happy hand stitching in the meantime. I know your sewing room will be thrilled to have you back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fractured Knee cap...Oh no. That's no way to enjoy DC. :-( Hoping you have a speedy recovery. Thank goodness for handwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I can't imagine the frustration you're going through not being able to go down to your sewing room. I am so glad to hear though that you can do some work upstairs. I hope your trip was still enjoyable. Christmas will be here in a wink. Praying you heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see your post, Rose, and pictures of you. I'm so sorry this happened on your trip, but I'm confident you'll be better soon (and praying for that as well). You named your walker Sandra - hahaha! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Gosh Rose, I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I can't imagine how painful it is. I hope you heal properly and quickly. In the mean while, rest up.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROSE! OMG! I have been thinking about you. Fractured knee - oh how painful that must have been and still is. Wow. I am so sorry to hear that. I love the name of your Walker. ~smile~ Very cute!! Oh, I can only imagine how scared DH was when that happened. I love and share Dee's opinion about God wanting to slow you down. I hope that dear little Micah isn't going to miss any visits from Grandma because of this. Just think of her sweet face being worried about you. Yes, I'll bet you are looking forward to the holidays. Keep that foot up and lots of rest helps it heal. {{Hugs}} a bunch for you. Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I hope you heal quickly, Rose and that you spend some time resting and taking it easy. Looks like you have some nice handwork that you can work on. Wishing a speedy recovery for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rose! I hope you have started recovering good now. It's great to see your blog post and read your thoughts. That means progress. Love that Gee whiz quilt and that you could give it to Dee in person! Your stairway quilts are so colorful, cute and inviting! Great that you have the EPP project to work on. And that master quiltholder to help out in times of need! Quiltson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Rose! That sounds soooo painful! I'm sorry that you fell and hurt yourself, but am glad to see that you seem to be handling it with your usual good humor. I'll try to post lots of finishes so that you have plenty to read in your down time :)

    And I have plenty to fabric to work with, because I finally received my mail full of goodies! I'll be blogging about that soon, but meanwhile: THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your poor knee, Rose! It's great that you have been so resourceful in adapting to the new situation. Fingers crossed that you will soon be venturing down that staircase on your own two feet once again. Sending all good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrible accident! But think of all the ideas you can find online while you are out of commission. Just take it easy and heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoping you heal well from your accident. Your good attitude and prepared handwork projects are a blessing as well as family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry about the fall. You know Washington DC is not for the fainthearted. In other news, Ruth Bader Ginsberg just suffered a fall. So, you are in good company. I am praying that both of you recover soon and completely. Oh that pumpkin is trying to smile in spite of the pain. Hang in there Rose!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My hubby fell off a ladder and broke his knee cap about five years ago. It was no picnic as you already know, but he's back to normal and even jogging a little at age 70. So you can do this!!! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.