Thursday, August 22, 2019

The Baby Arturo Quilt and More

This is highly unusual for me to have three quilt Finally Finishes and two posts in one week.  I debated about whether I should write a post about this baby quilt which I abandoned back in July in order to play with the scraps I received from Mary which ended up being the two quilts I posted about earlier.  I was just going to post a photo of this quilt in my 2019 Quilt page in my blog, but I thought better to provide some information so that I have some sort of record of this quilt finish.

This quilt measures 40" X 45" and was made from the Ginger's Thicket Critter Panel along with some yardage from that collection and a few others from my stash.  Susan of PatchworknPlay also made a baby quilt using the same fabric collection and also used an accent of a minty green fabric which I liked.  I found this minty green fabric while vacation earlier this year and is one of the few pieces I purchased during my year of the Fabric Fast.

I have to admit I did not enjoy the quilting as much as I did with the earlier quilts I just quilted.  I always seem to have a problem when I combine straight lines with diagonal lines and there was more puckering than a kissing booth in the corners.  Like we quilters like to say, "finish is better than perfect".

As for why the quilt was named "Arturo", it's a little tongue in cheek.  My friend Mary had a grandson born in May/June and this is the third child of her oldest daughter and her first grandson.  I don't know what it is but this grandchild I know little about since info doesn't seem as much as the other two.  I don't remember the baby's name and only seen it once on FB and not as many photos.  I didn't even receive a birth announcement.  Knowing that the other siblings' names began with the letter "A", I decided to call it Arturo since I like to name my quilts.  Hopefully, I will see Mary at the end of the month being that's when her birthday is so I can give her this quilt and know more about this sweet baby boy.
Now that the baby quilt is a finish, I had the joy of deciding what my next project was going to be which I first chose another strippy quilt with the Carrie Bloomston fabrics which are on the right.  But lo and behold I got sidetracked with another project when my little stash of Downton Abbey fabrics  on the left caught my eye and I knew I wanted to make a lap quilt just for the movie which is coming out in September.  You've seen those ads on FB and IG haven't you?  The whole family is excited about seeing this movie, even Demando.  Sadly with the little fabric I have, this quilt is going to be too small to share so maybe the theater won't be so cold for the menfolk.
I'm posting this right before I'm going for another visit to see my precious granddaughter so I may not be posting again for awhile since these visits tend to take precedent over any quilt finishes.  I'm having the same problems again of not receiving notifications of comments left on my blog so I apologize for any delays in responding. 

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation NTT

11 comments :

  1. I really like the green you chose Rose! And you are too funny, naming the quilt Arturo! Please let us know what the baby's name is in real life. Will you change the quilt's name then? Your grand daughter is really growing up...she's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your fabric combination. Nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose! I feel like I've seen this quilt already - HAHA! I think it's a fabulous finish, and three for the month at that. You are two ahead of me! Aww, sweet Micah. She is getting so big already. And she likes the sidewalk chalk?! I haven't tried that with Dominic yet - good thing there still is some nice weather ahead to give it a shot. Have a blast - I know you will. And safe travels. Happy Friday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. More puckers than a kissing booth -- hahaha! You are so funny. It's a cute little quilt for little Arturo, or whatever his real name is. I'm sure he will love it. I'm curious about the Downton fabrics, and wondering if I have any (I haven't been collecting them and, true confessions, I haven't watched much of the show :-0) Enjoy your time with sweet Micah and the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mint with that panel, Rose! A kissing booth?!! Haha! Your finished quilt looks great. I love that Carrie fabric. But great idea getting a DA quilt ready for the movie release. Tell the guys to bring their own quilts. GD is getting such looong legs! She has your eyes. She's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three quilts and 2 posts - thats a lot of good work. The green is perfect for this quilt and you did a fab job. Curious, what batting are you using? The other thing is how are you basting. However, if it didn't happen I wouldn't have blurted out laughing about the kissing booth reference. Have a grand time with Ms. Micah. There will be plenty of sewing time, but they are small for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute animals. Lucky Arturo! Or Anthony! Or Antonio! Or Alejandro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun with your grandchild! I love baby Arturo's quilt. I may be making my own quilt with a similar panel. Two babies will be added to the extended family in December

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Arturo quilt, Rose, it's so sweet. Enjoy all the time with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandchild diversions are the very BEST. That is really an adorable quilt for baby A. I like the name Arturo! As for Downton Abbey I cannot WAIT! And I have some DA fabric I bought myself for my birthday a few years back that is still marinating on the shelf, so maybe I should pull it out and make one to celebrate too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.