Friday, November 29, 2019

A Nice and Not So Crazy November

For a lack of a clever post title, I'm calling what this November was all about despite being another month which went by so fast that I didn't realize until last weekend that Thanksgiving and the end of the month was happening this week.  Since deciding to only post once a month now, it seems that this only makes the month go by faster, especially when you're traveling to and from the Grandparent House.  It seems that again my Finally Finishes involve two quilts for the month; one being a have-to-make and a very old UFO which both was needed to decorate the walls at the Grandparent House.
We're at the stage where quilts are migrating to the Grandparent House, mostly quilts for the beds and chairs and a few for the walls.  I needed a wall quilt to hang on the wall in the living room opposite to my Country Threads 2014 BOM Quilt which I finally have a place to hang it up.  Fortunately the stars were aligned for me to make just the right wall quilt to complement the BOM quilt.












This is the year that I've been able to make quilts with fabrics sitting too long in my stash and I've been wanting to make something with a Kaye England collection of fabrics called Birds of a Feather purchased years ago along with some never-used Civil War prints.  Having just received my copy of Country Threads A Country's Call which is their latest book featuring traditional/Civil War prints and my wanting to make the "First Lessons" quilt pattern, I knew this would make the perfect wall quilt to complement the BOM Quilt.  With a little modification to the pattern because of the size of the Bird of A Feather panel and adding sashing to make the quilt bigger, this quilt was a dream to make.  If I had a Good Quilt Karma Reward Card, I got to use it for this quit.  The fabrics played nicely together, having the black and white crosshatch fabric, which is a ten years old print, in my stash for the sashing and binding and the backing was an old Jinny Beyer print already sewn and I was going to cut it up for rug weaving and I didn't--how lucky can one quilter be.  The "First Lessons" pattern is great for using a focal print/panel and strips in various widths.
One of the things I like about the quilts in all of the Country Threads Civil War Quilts series is the straight-line quilting which is may be unusual to see modern quilting on Civil War/Reproduction fabrics but it looks wonderful together.  For my Birds of A Feather Quilt, I did vertical straight line quilt, 1" apart, thank you quilting guide which made my stitching nice and even, with Connecting Threads' Essential Thread, Silver on the top and Gray on the bottom.  This quilt measures approximately 48" x 60".
Here's a photo of the two quilts on the wall and besides both of them being Country Threads patterns, they also feature Kaye England fabrics.
Here's a photo of Hubby, aka, Master Quilt Holder and House Fixer Upper, demonstrating he is also a Master Quilt Hanger getting ready to hang the Bird of A Feather Quilt next to his new recliner.  This is going to be a cozy corner for he and the Granddaughter who likes birds and the alphabet.

The other Finally Finish is another wall quilt which was a really old UFO from the twentieth century and had it not been for my creating a Cowboy Corner in the front hallway and coming across it while I was searching for something else in the cabinet, this may have not ever been finished.  The top was sewn over twenty years ago and I remember when I made it, the day after Roy Rogers passed away in July of 1998.  I used a Mary Ellen Hopkins pattern and some Cowboy prints I had in my stash.  Yep, this old quilter who had a 50's childhood liked her Cowboys and horses, especially Roy Rogers and Trigger.  I called this quilt Happy Trails and I know why I never quilted it because I wasn't quite sure back then how I wanted to and it just took me twenty years to figure out that simple diagonal lines quilted in black would do.
Happy Trails measures 30" x 38".  Like some of my other quilts finally finished this year, the weather did not co-operate, and I had to take indoor photos.  Hope you can see how vibrant the colors are in this quilt.  I love the Alexander Henry Cowboy print as well as the Cowboy riding the tornado which I remember a Pecos Bill cartoon with the same theme. I thought I was going to have a problem with binding this quilt because since this top was made so long ago and I had not yet instituted my learned practice from binding boo-boos of always putting away fabric for the binding right away in the drawer, I thought I was going to have to spend time looking for the right fabric.  Lucky for me I found a half yard of the black and natural Debbie Mumm print used in this quilt right away in my stash.  Whew!!!! And when the Roy Rogers prints came out years later,  you know I did buy yardage of it and made the quilt on the right  which is already sitting on the chair in the hallway at the Grandparent House and waiting for Happy Trails to hang right next to it.

I was looking forward to not having to shop both online and in the stores for the Grandparent House since I think we're pretty much done but now it time to shop for the holidays.  I'm starting on the Christmas quilt makes and hopefully things will sew well.  A nice and not so crazy December would be something to have now, wouldn't it.  I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving week and am glad I had one.  Have fun with all of your holiday sewing and let's not do crazy.

8 comments :

  1. Your quilts look great. Congratulations on the finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose it is looking so comfortable and warm at the Grandparents house! Glad to see things are going well. I'm with you and a monthly post. Things just seem to fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, you guys are having too much fun with that Grandparent house! It just makes me happy to see all that's going on there. Love the cowboy theme. What a great binding on that alphabet quilt! Love that the civil war quilts are getting straight line quilting--it is so easy, looks great and very accessible. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making the Grandparent House very cozy and welcoming with those quilts! Love the Roy Rogers quilt, with the story behind it. Really fun to see your progress on the quilts and on the GHouse. November flew by in a matter of seconds; I suspect December might do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose! Those two quilts look so nice and welcoming. Don't you just love to sit in there?! The Grandparent House is coming along so well - it seems very homey to me. Are you going to get to the point where there isn't any back-and-forth? I wasn't sure if a total move is in the works or not. So glad to hear you had a wonderful Thanksgiving - how could it not be with sweet Micah?! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Grandparent house is looking great. You had wonderful finishes in the works. I love the serendipity of finding the right fabric for the cowboy quilt - Alexander Henry is always a favorite! It is sometimes hard, but sometimes the stars align and they have been for these quilts and this house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my the 'grandparent' house is looking great, lots of quilty love there! Will you make the move soon or continue to go back & forth for a while? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing the grandparent house - those floors are to die for, the wide baseboards and beautiful window trim... oh yes the quilts are good too. LOL You know why I'm so smitten and observant of all things older house! I'm so glad you sew up vintage fabrics as do I; I recognize that burgundy sort-of-plaid one in the second RR quilt it's a Cranston and I have a tiny bit still in my stash, one of the first purchases of quilting fabric back in the late 90s I believe! And ah Debbie Mumm - she had some great ones, several of which I still have too. It's so wonderful how everything is coming together there. Weather hasn't been cooperative here either, though we dodged the freezing rain and snow storm that hit about an hour north of us and wreaked havoc with Toronto International airport (B&B got stuck here for an extra day, oh darn) but the sun is shining today so I need to get this (late) IB quilt bound and photographed and posted! One post a month is smart too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.