Thursday, March 11, 2021

I Think I May Have A Feedsack Fairy Godmother

I’ve been meaning to post about my spending time during the month of February with my Feedsack fabric scraps which I haven’t played with for awhile. I’ve written several posts in the past about my infatuation with Feedsack fabrics, how my stash was acquired and the quilts made. Since we were spending a lot of time at the Grandparent House, I thought one of the projects I could do with the Feedsack scraps was to resurrect a project started over five years ago when traveling to Yosemite on a family vacation.
I always like to have a create-on-the-go project to do in a car and thought handpiecing feedsack scraps onto a flour sack would keep me busy and was doable since I had the entire back seat as my sewing studio. Here’s a photo of the start where I started sewing strips and can’t remember if I eyeballed the 1/4” sewing line or if I marked it. You can see the wooden stick used for pressing the seams down.
And this is where the project was left, still a lot of pieces to be sewn down to fill the flour sack foundation.
Here the top is finally finished and I decided this would make a nice size cushion since it’s the size of a standard pillowcase.  This would look so lovely sitting on a back of a wicker bench, wouldn’t it? Sad, I only have a chair and rocker.
Another reason for working on this project is that I’ve been seeing a lot of quilters online sharing their Kawandi, Kantha, Boro, Sashiko, etc. quilts and loved the idea of doing some big stitch quilting on this future feedsack cushion.  If you look closely, you can see my big black stitches which I’m using embroidery thread and hoping it won’t take another five years to finish. I’m also working on other projects inspired by the aforementioned quilts which will be another post for another day.
When I needed to take a break from the handquilting, I sewed some string blocks which measures 7” finished.  It’s a good way to use up the string scraps and the newsprint paper from old financial reports.  After making around twenty of these blocks I had to stop because I was running out of long enough strips and variety which made me sad because I am fond of so many of these prints.
Now to explain the title of this post and the photo at the top - I was going through my bins of Sandy Gervais fabrics today and didn’t find what I was looking for so in the process of putting the bins back on the top of the shelf, I came across a very long shoebox, 14” long, tied with a ribbon, which I don’t remember why this box was with the Sandy Gervais fabric.  I was really afraid to open it since my studio is in the basement and didn’t want to find anything creepy crawly in the box and much to my surprise and amazement, it contained lovely big chunks and strings of feedsack fabric, many of them my favorite prints. I don’t remember putting these scraps in this box nor why they would be separated from my feedsack stash which is on the other side of the studio. I do know the shoebox was mine since my feet are that big. So, as I was telling my Hubby of my lovely discovery and not knowing how the box was put in that corner of the studio, I decided I must have a Feedsack Fairy Godmother which makes sense to me since most of my Feedsack stash was given to me.  I’ve already separated the strings from the chunks and will be taking them with me the next time we visit the Grandparent House.

I’ve not posted since the first week of January and have been only writing a monthly post which I clearly missed February.  I can see why some bloggers write daily or several posts during the week since a lot of things can happen. So fearing that my next post might be as long as a novel, I thought finding the box of Feedsack Scraps was an impetus to finally write a post so I can keep track of what’s sewing around in my studio. I still have other posts to write about, especially my Country Threads Dirty Dozen UFO Challenge finishes which I hope to finally write about at the end of March. I’m glad I finally am biting the Blog Bullet and getting back on the Post saddle despite my problems of my posts not being picked up Bloglovin’. You might read me sooner than later.

8 comments :

  1. How nice to find those feedsack fabrics. Those are really pretty fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to wake up and see a post from you in my inbox, Rose! Yay for the Feedsack Fairy! Glad you didn't find any creepy crawlies in that box - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A feed sack fairy godmother, just when you needed her, Rose! Fun surprise! Your boro stitching is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose! Your feedsack project looks fabulous. It is very sad that you don't have a wicker bench - perhaps that might be easily remedied? Either at the GP house or the other home - how the heck do you refer to it? Home home? Truly, what a fabulous find! The FS Fairy godmother must like you a whole lot. Next time, or going forward, you need to mark you major sorting style so that she know to leave the box in the appropriate spot. Not finding creepy crawlies is fab but what if you hadn't stumbled upon it for a LONG time?! Now you can complete the pretty FS project AND some additional string blocks. Win/Win/Win. {{Hugs}} Rose. I've missed you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your feedback project and what a wonderful discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FeedSACK, not feedback. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been happy to discover Mootsies Tootsies, but Feedsacks! What a magical story. Feedback prints are just happy. Are there any antique stores near the grandparent house? (Wicker benches) Your stitches are so even. How many strands do you use, and what size needle? Inquiring mind wants to know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That will look nice on a wicker bench! I like Janine’s query about antique shops...not to hang up with enabling or anything... I can just see it on a verandah so inviting. So glad to read what you’ve been up to and how nice to discover more fun feedsack fabrics! I wish I would run out of strings long ones, short ones; they just multiply like rabbits.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.