Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Innocent Crush Patchwork Throw

My Innocent Crush Patchwork Throw is my August finish for the Country Threads Dirty Dozen UFO Challenge. Like my July Finish, my August UFO was finished early and involved HSTs waiting to be assembled into a quilt. I knew once I decided on a layout for the blocks, I wanted this to be a quick and easy finish, so the plan was to make it a Patchwork Throw by only adding a plush backing and no batting.
This Patchwork Throw has been in the makings for over ten years when the Innocent Crush fabrics designed by Anna Maria Horner was released in 2010. I purchased a Fat Quarter Shop Designer Bundle of twelve fat quarters along with a yard cut of the red Mixed Signal print which came in handy once I decided on the layout. Whenever I purchase pre-cuts, I always try to remember to buy yardage of one of the prints for binding.  Since this project was started before I began blogging and using an iPhone to record my quilting activity, the best I can remember is the HSTs were probably made after the fat quarter bundle was sitting around for at least five years and I decided to use these mostly large prints for HSTs after I purchased an 8” HST die. To the best of my recollection and forgetting to look through my old quilt planners to verify the dates, these HSTs were made at least five years ago and the last time I looked at these HSTs was almost four years ago. Along with the twelve fat quarters from the bundle, I also cut a fat quarter from the red Mixed Signal print since it was not included in the bundle so fifty-six HSTs were sewn. I only needed fifty-four for the top.
When I started working with the HSTs, I couldn’t remember the name of the fabric collection and spent some time online searching the many Anna Maria Horner fabric lines to determine which one it was and of course had I looked at the yard cut of fabric I had, the name was was on the selvedge. (And then again I could have also found it had I look through my old planners.) This lovely group of fabrics has lovely shades of teal, lavender, pinks, blue and rusty reds so I decided to make flying geese blocks with the boldest colors which were mostly reds and blues for the points. These blocks measure 8”x16” (finished).


When I first started laying out the flying geese blocks point side down on my design board, my initial plan was not to match the sides but decided I liked the look of the flying geese blocks linking although some of the same prints are too close together for my liking. When the blocks were originally laid out with the points down, I thought of naming the quilt Half Hearted but decided I like the layout better with the points up. The remaining yardage of the red Mixed Signal print which I intended for the binding was used instead to add a four-inch pieced border on the sides so the top would measure 56”x72”.
Since my plan was to make a Patchwork Throw, the layout wasn’t too important and not so noticeable because once the plush backing was added,  it would look nice scrunched up on a chair or sofa. My favorite plush Chenille backing was used along with a black and gray mini check for the binding.
My first Patchwork Throw was made around five years ago when I wanted to make a quick quilt for my Godmother who had knee surgery from an accident and was going to be recovering in a convalescence home. I had HSTs already made with Amy Butler fabric, which were made the same time as the Innocent Crush HSTs, and some apple green Minky. It turned out great. The lessons I learned with this throw is to use sewing machine needles for knits, ball points, polyester thread and baste well. Also, you only need to do simple quilting since there is no batting in between and I find when I do too much quilting, it makes the throw too puffy. This is the only Patchwork Throw I’ve self bind with the Minky and I am wondering why I decided to start binding them. BTW, I made quite a few of these Amy Butler HSTs and have enough left to make another Patchwork Throw which I added to this year’s Dirty Dozen UFO Challenge so you may see it sooner or later.
Patchwork Throws really are quick and easy to make, especially if you already have a flimsy made. We’re in the midst of a heat wave as well as other parts of this U.S. so I’m thinking in around sixty days, my Innocent Crush Patchwork Throw will be very much appreciated and snug worthy. I’m hoping I will be able to see my friend by then so I can give her this very belated gift.
And speaking of gifts, this quilt formerly known as the Jolly Jinny Jungle Quilt has now been renamed as the Wetland Quilt and given to my favorite nephew, Jim, in celebration of his recent marriage and his new position as the Director of the James Kennedy Waterfowl and Wetlands Conservation Center in South Carolina. I’m so glad I had just the right quilt to give him and although I miss it, I can always make another quilt with these fabrics since I still have some leftover fabrics and blocks.
Before I end this post, I thought a share a peek of the secret sewing I’m doing in preparation of an upcoming Blog Hop in September for a new quilt publication to be released on August 23rd which is absolutely wonderful. More details and peeks to follow.

I’m glad my August commitment  is finished because the rest of the month we will be busy traveling to and from the Grandparent House and looking forward to an upcoming road trip to Colorado. Hoping to stay healthy and for you too, as well as having an Awesome August.

Linking up with: My Quilt Infatuation/NTT

5 comments :

  1. I love your oversized geese. It must be so satisfying to whip up a quilt with such big patches. Well, whip in a relative sense. ;) I’m glad you finished it, and I’m sure it will be cozy when cool weather comes (hopefully sooner rather than later.) The color combo is luscious. And who knew you’d have a quilt ready that just fit the wetlands theme. Looking forward to your secret finish. Have fun at the GP house and in Colorado. Stay coolish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and love that you are getting so many wonderful old gems finished. So eager to hear about your hop - a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really cracking along with finishing up the older quilts in your stash! Congrats to your nephew on his marriage and his new job. The green quilt is a perfect gift! Will be fun to see your blog hop project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More finishes Rose!! That's awesome, and so wonderful to think they will be given to loving homes. I have to stop making quilts, I don't have that many friends or relations! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those AMH fabrics are fantastic Rose! Great finish on that beautiful UFO. I love the Wetlands quilt and the colors and pattern sound just perfect for your nephew's new job and marriage!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.