Sunday, October 27, 2024

Kaffe Fassett Red Row-ver Patchwork Throw

October seems to be the month of my “O” finishes with an “Oh Wow!”  and “Oooh Finishes” so my Red Row-ver Patchwork Throw is my “Oooh-La-La” finish to end the month.
I seem to have rekindled my “in-Fassett-uation after watching so many The Last Homely House videos  and also one of my projects listed for 2024/25 was to sew something with my Kaffe Fassett scraps. I’ve done a good job of keeping them contained in one of those vinyl suitcases leftover over from a mattress pad purchase. In this case were 123 four patches, which you can see clipped on the bottom of the left photo, made well over ten years ago for a wedding quilt and these blocks were rejects. In early September I grouped similar blocks together and there were either two, three and four or more of them made in the same/similar fabrics.
I decided to sew these group of four patches together  in rows and lay them vertically rather than horizontally. I got this idea from Mary Etherington, Country Threads who made a Bonnie Hunter’s Bitcoin quilt which has various rail blocks in different lengths. As you can see, I used my trusty graph paper to figure out the layout to see if I had the right amount of blocks and only had to make one more. I just love how this looks and you would think this was a St. Louis 16 Patch quilt sewn wrong.
While making Red Row-ver, I had an idea I wanted to back the quilt with red wide wale corduroy but settled for a double plush with a wonderful texture and feel. I also planned to machine quilt with vertical straight and wavy lines but realized after I was halfway through, they were horizontal lines. I was alright with that since the red plush had horizontal lines…Whew, salty language avoided. The binding was a Kaffe Fassett Madras stripe which has been in my stash forever. Red Row-ver measures 54” x 80”.
This isn’t the first time I backed a Kaffe Fassett flimsy with a luscious plush. The Zig Zag Patchwork Throw was finished in 2018 and sewn with a wonderful quilt memory. I am looking forward to snuggling with them when the cold weather or El NiƱo Winter arrives but not too soon because I’m enjoying the wonderful Fall we’re having.
I called Red Row-ver a patchwork throw because of the size but maybe I should call it a Bench Blankie or a Baby Boomer Blankie for two. What do you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.