Thursday, August 24, 2017

It's Been A Scrappening Kind Of Week

The Scrap Happy Rail Quilt is a finally finish and was only a "flimsy" for less than a week.  Last week, I posted about the making of this top, you can read the post here and normally, once I finish a top, it usually lays around the studio for at least several months or seasons before it is quilted.  I must be having some good quilting mojo since this is the third quilt I've quilted in the last four weeks.
I couldn't decided if I wanted to quilt it with straight lines or wavy organic lines so I did a combination of the two and I think it turned out pretty well.  I wanted to make sure my post included some close-up shots since my last post had only one photo.  Thanks for the gentle nudge, Preeti!
I backed this quilt with my last piece of Ikea fabric which is no longer available, of course.  I'm so glad I bought this several years ago when they had this fabric and other fabrics like Nummer which was so perfect for backings.  The last time I backed a quilt with this fabric was for another scrappy quilt--this print just picks up all the colors of the quilt top and I wish Ikea would bring this print and the Nummer print back.
As if I haven't worked with scraps enough this year, I have now completed a trifecta of Crazy Mom quilts.  (I previously posted my June Quilt, you can read the post here ).  While searching for some scraps for a road trip project, I came across two pieces of my Scrap Vortex quilt which I started around  two years ago.   In order to finish this top, all I had to do was sew two scrap slabs, one measuring 13"x 47" and the other 10" x 57" and since the scraps for this project were still together I decided to finish this top once again even though I was supposed to be cleaning my studio and getting ready for a road  trip.  This is the sixth quilt I've made with scraps this year.
When I originally finished the top the first time, I was so excited that I was going to straight line quilt it with my then brand new Juki 2010Q.  As mentioned in previous posts, the Juki Walking Foot does not like to do straight line quilting.  After quilting around a third of the quilt and seeing how the quilt was getting distorted, rather than removing the stitches, I chose to cut off the part of the quilt that was quilted and made one very long mat for exercising.  Now that I can straight-line quilt on the Juki, I looking forward to quilting the second Scrap Vortex top and I'm really hoping I won't be making a matching floor mat again.
I did get a chance to make some other things from my fabric stash. I've made some blocks for another Christmas quilt, one of the blocks, the Tree Farm Block designed by Janda Bend Quilts is from the A Very Merry Christmas Quilt Along, you can read the post here.  Teething time has arrived for my Granddaughter, Micah Rose, so some leashes with teething rings needed to be made.  I wasn't looking forward to adding the snaps since I wasn't very good with eyelets but I have to say these KAM Snaps purchased from Amazon went on like a "snap"--no problem at all, there is a very good YouTube you can watch.

As I am posting this today, I am traveling to Yellowstone with my husband and son and have taken the Scrap Happy Rail Quilt, which has now been renamed the Happy Trails Rail Quilt.  My road project will be doing some hand sewing with scraps.  I just can't seem to be able to get away from scraps.

Hopefully during this trip, I will not be tempted to buy fabric because I had a little tumble this week.

Previous YTD Total:   -62.25 yards
Current YTD Total:    -59.25 yards

Linking up with:
My Quilt Infatuation: Needle and Thread Thursday
Confessions of a Fabric Addict:  Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?
Busy Hands Quilts:  Finish Or Not Friday
Quilting Is More Fun Than Housework: Oh Scrap
MMM Quilts: dreami Linky #7

21 comments :

  1. Rose, safe travels to you and your family. Yellowstone is on my list of places to see. I love how you changed from quilt to mat. Good thinking. Your Christmas blocks are looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, look at you go! The quilt and your quilting look great! Enjoy Yellowstone, Rose. I hope you have safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scrappy quilt! That backing is so pretty. I never thought of Ikea for quilt backings!! What is the WOF on those? Have fun on your trip! My sewing machine can't quilt straight lines either ... it heavily distorts no matter how carefully I baste. What did you do to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrap Happy Rail Quilt turned out, well, quite happy looking. Enjoy your trip to Yellowstone! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed, your combination of straight lines and organic lines really makes this one sing! I love the second one too and how clever to create a mat out of a mistake. I wish I could say it has inspired me to exercise! Maybe that is what I will do with my new "stash" of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scrap quilts are really fun and bright. I love the combo of straight line and wavy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrap quilts are such happy ones aren't they? I do find if I don't loosen the tension on my Juki when I'm straight line quilting, I will get distortion too! Happy trails Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your finish and your new exercise mat. Glad this happened on a quilt you felt you could repurpose - scraps help do that. Enjoy your road trip and hand work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrappy quilts are bunches of fun. I too am working on the same quilt from Amanda Jean's book. Safe travels to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting mojo is an example to us all. How clever repurposing that quilt into an exercise mat! Your other projects are cute, too. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Scrappy Happy Rail Quilt and especially love that backing. Such a pity there is no IKEA in New Zealand, though on second thoughts, that could be a good thing. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful rail fence quilt! Your quilting is a wonderful compliment to it! The backing is amazing...gotta love Ikea fabric!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of these, especially the Happy Trails quilt. They look great! Quilting three quilts in four weeks is waaaay too productive. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your dense quilting on your scrappy quilt. You are on a roll! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Yellowstone - hope you have a wonderful time! Your scrappy quilts are beautiful! Maybe you will be taking some photographs of your Happy Trails quilt in the wild?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some lovely things happening at your place. Great idea for teething rings. Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on a fabulous finish! Enjoy your travels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What perfectly scrumptious DrEAMi! projects Rose! HAND sewing scraps on a road trip? You've got it bad my friend, and I love it. I am with you on wanting the IKEA fabric back; I never got any of either of those fab prints and I am so depressed about it. I also am glad Preeti nudged you, and now Diann to do some in the wild shots... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely scrappy rail fence quilt! And your dense quitling looks great. Ah yes, I've seen that Ikea print on a few things now, always loved it too, never had the chance to buy any though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The rail fence is great, and I like your combination quilting. I love scrap vortex, too! I have about 4 pieces, but it isn't big enough yet, because I keep getting distracted by other leader-enders. I started mine about 18 months ago, and who knows when I'll finish. Everything I do is scrappy and my current leader-ender is also Amanda's - her June QAL from her new book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty scrap quilts Rose!! You are on quite the roll with your finishes which is awesome! I love how you decided to make a long exercise mat when you weren't happy with the quilting. Enjoy your Yellowstone trip! It is one of my favorite places! Good luck with resisting fabric purchases...there are quite a few amazing quilt shops in that area ;-))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.