Friday, October 27, 2017

Two Big Strippy Block Quilts Are Finally Finished

This must be my year for finally getting some of my older quilt tops done. Thankfully, when this happens, I still like the fabrics and colors and have a purpose for them. My two big strippy block quilts were finally finished this week.  Both of the tops were done in 2014 and it only took me four years to finally decide that they needed to be quilted by my long arm quilter, Jan, this past summer.
The first top was made with the Alexander Henry's Matisse fabric line which came out in 2010 and sat in my stash for several years.  I couldn't find a pattern which would showcase these wonderful prints until I saw a quilt on Pinterest which was the Easy Peasy Strip Quilt by Judith Lockhart (you can see the pattern & tutorial here).  I did modify the pattern by changing the strip dimensions to 8-1/2" wide and the cut lengths to either 8-1/2", 16-1/2" or 24-1/2"to better showcase the large focal prints.  The Matisse quilt measures 56" x 64" with a 4" finished black and white border which is not part of the fabric collection.
I love the large, loose organic floral lines Jan quilted with a pastel variegated thread; it does not detract from the large prints and the simple pattern of the quilt.  Judith, the pattern designer was absolutely right when she said her pattern lets "the fabric make the quilt."  When I first made the quilt, I thought it would be a nice artsy quilt for lawn concerts or picnics but I've changed my mind.  I'll be hanging it up in my studio to remind me of my college days when I was an Art History Major and made many visits to the Art Institute to study Matisse paintings.  Funny, I never envisioned that one day I would making quilts with Matisse prints.
After I made the Matisse top, I also used the same pattern for another big strippy block quilt with Free Spirit's Empress Woo fabric designed by Robyn Randolph and again was sitting in my stash for awhile.  This quilt measures 48" x 56" and the strips dimensions are also 8-1/2' wide but the lengths were cut either 6-1/2" or 12-1/2" and the border is made up of  4-1/2" cuts of squares and rectangles of the fabric line.  
Jan, again, quilted with a large, loose organic line and used a perfectly, peachy-rose thread. The Matisse quilt was on my project list to complete this year and the Empress Woo Quilt was not even on my radar to finish, sadly, I had forgotten I made this quilt. When I was preparing the quilts to send to Jan, I came across the Empress Woo binding which reminded me that the top was just sitting in the the someday-a-quilt drawer.  I thought this would make a nice floor quilt for my granddaughter, Micah Rose, but, again, I've changed my mind; I'll be hanging this on the wall in my bedroom at her house instead. It's a good thing I still have some of this fabric left because I now need to make a bed quilt to go with this wallhanging.
I love making quilts with big strippy blocks.  They're fast and simple to make, a great pattern for large focal or modern prints and even a great way to use up some long, forgotten traditional fabrics which I still have a lot of in my stash. I'm from the school of still loving all the fabric I bought but just feeling guilty that I haven't made something with it yet. The quilt above, which was made several years ago, was inspired by another quilt I saw on Pinterest, Tifton Tiles (you can see the pattern and tutorial here).  I can see making another quilt like this with the French General fabrics which have been neglected too long.

I'm happy to say that I've been staying on task this week; I cleaned my studio, did not get distracted with any new projects, although I was tempted, and more importantly,  I've finished making the six tops for the Blanket Ministry.  Before I start quilting them, I need to have some sewing downtime with my blocks for the Splash of Color QAL.

Minus 100 Yard Challenge

Previous Total:  -84.625 yards                      New Total: -75.25 yards

Yes, I did buy some new fabric but still am pretty certain I'm going to meet my goal because the new total does not include the fabrics used for the Blanket Ministry, Splash of Color QAL, etc. plus there's always backings to be sewn.

Linking up with: My Quilt Infatuation, Thursday Needle and Thread, Crazy Mom's Finish It Up Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop Friday, and Busy Hands Quilts, Finish or Not Friday

29 comments :

  1. Rose congratulations on moving two oldies into the finished column. I love the wide strips, it is hard to find patterns that showcase those beautiful fabrics, but this does it so well.

    I'm working on a quilt today using your Me & My Sister Gifts. Hopefully it will be done early next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! I really am glad that these quilts are finally finished and am enjoying seeing the Matisse quilt hanging in my studio. Strippy patterns are great for using the fabrics sitting around too long. I can't wait to see your Me & My Sister Quilt.

      Delete
  2. Love them all, but particularly the Matisse. I had not seen this fabric and you are absolutely right about the pattern showcasing these great prints. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I love the Matisse prints; I actually bought them in two color ways, the other one is more neutral but just as pretty.

      Delete
  3. We're going to have to change your name from Problem Sister to Productive Sister! I've been doing really well in the fabric acquisition department lately, but dragging my shorts a bit in the finishing department. You, on the other hand, have some beautiful quilts finished! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! It's nice to get some finishes to cross off the project list. I can't believe there's only two months left and I still have projects which I had hope to complete this year.

      Delete
  4. A lot of beautiful finishes! I particularly love the Matisse quilt. The pattern is great that you don't have to cut it up, it would make the pattern get lost. But it showcases perfectly here! I didn't know you were an Art History major, that's really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I hate to cut-up large focus prints so that's why I'm partial to big block patterns. And yes, being an Art History Major when your mother wanted you to be a Nurse, at least she appreciated my quilts and fabric stash.

      Delete
  5. Rose! You are on a roll! Some great finishes. I love large strippy quilts that show off fun fabrics. Art History must be a super fun major.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! Fun fabrics and strippy quilts seem to go together for me. And being an Art History major came in handy when I worked at the quilt shop and having to remember the fabric collections, patterns, etc.

      Delete
  6. Six Tops??? Wow, Rose, that calls for a standing ovation. And you cleaned your studio without getting distracted. Now you are just making all of us jealous :-)
    Congratulations on your fabulous finishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preeti! Now I have to continue this focus so I can these six tops quilted and I'll be real happy and free to do some fun sewing.

      Delete
  7. How nice that these nearly forgotten quilts tops are finished, and that you love them so much that you are going to display them! It shouldn't be too surprising, though. We buy all this luscious fabric because we love it and want to keep looking at it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! It's a great feeling when a top is finally a quilt. I am enjoying looking at the Matisse quilt hanging in the studio now. I just love the prints and color.

      Delete
  8. Some lovely finishes! So good to move these 'older' quilts along, I remember that 'empress woo' fabric from way back! Making large strippy blocks are a perfect way to showcase the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. After reading your comment, I realized that I typed Wu instead of Woo; I must have been thinking of my first dog who was named Muchi Wu. I made the correction--Thanks. And yay for large strippy blocks!

      Delete
  9. Way to go finishing up those! I love that large floral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! BTW, I listened to your interview today; it was great. Congratulations. If you didn't already have a great blog name, I can see it being "It's Sew Paige"

      Delete
  10. What fun finishes. I love simple quilts. Thanks for linking to the tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine and you're welcome. I love a great simple pattern and glad to share my sources.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic quilts - nothing better than ticking off some UFOs. I love that Empress Wu fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It's really a great feeling when a longtime UFO is finally finished.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on finishing more of your UFO's! I always feel good when I move things to the 'finished' pile. Simple patterns are sometimes the best and I tend to forget that. Thanks for sharing your quilts and reminding me that it's okay to go big and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm all about the big and easy; it's a great way to lessen the stash load I have.

      Delete
  13. Rose you are just pumping out the quilts! I have some Diane Phalen GORGEOUS fabric from far too long ago that I have never found a pattern I like to showcase it, so I will most definitely refer to this and your links. Thank you! These are lovely, especially that Matisse one, wow. The problem for me is (ha problem, I now think) is finding more fabrics in my stash to go with the main one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. The Matisse fabric is lovely to look at. You have to send me a photo or link to the Diane Phalen fabric. Maybe I can help you out.

      Delete
  14. It's always a celebration to see UFO's fly into finished quilts :) I am clapping at your decision to hang the quilts as wall hangings. Those beautiful prints need to be displayed, they are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tish! I'm loving the Matisse hanging in my studio, I wish I had more empty wall space in my studio, but I need those shelves to hold the stash. Such a dilemma we quilters have.

      Delete
  15. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited. Thank you…
    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.