Friday, October 20, 2017

I'm in DIP (Distraction, Interruption, Participation) Mode This Week


My plan this week was to work on the six baby quilts for the Blanket Ministry at Church so I can fulfill my commitment for this year.  My goal is to finish all of them by the middle of November but I rather finish them sooner or later so I can work on some other projects that are still waiting to be finished. But, wouldn't you know it, I got distracted from working on the baby quilts because Linda, one of my best quilt peeps and who does wonderful wool work, gifted me with some wool squares she personally felted herself.  While putting them away in my wool stash cupboard, I came across two wool projects, neither of them on my project list; the one on the top (Wool Circles) was started last Winter and the one on the bottom (Cat Pillow) was a kit purchased several years ago from Country Threads before they closed. Both of these project were waiting for the wool pieces to be appliquéd and since both of these projects were perfect for the season right now, I decided to put aside the baby quilts to work on them and they're both in the flimsy stage now.  The only problem I have with working with wool is that it's something I don't like to do during the summer when the weather is hot. The heat this Summer has crept into the first weeks of October which shortened the time to work with wool for Fall projects.  And I've never been one to make Fall projects during the Winter or Spring either but maybe that's something I need to rethink because, for me, the time for Fall makings is very short.
I happened to read Kat and Cat Quilts/Covered in Love blog and saw she was having a Susannah in the Fall Block Drive (you can read about it here) so the Wool project was interrupted. I knew I had to participate in this block drive since these blocks are made with Fall colors and are 12" finished which were right up my alley since I already had some of the 3" HST and squares in my scrap stash from past projects.  These blocks were made with several of Sandy Gervais' Fall fabric lines which are some of my favorite prints and I had to make more than just one.  Kat has already received some blocks and is making a quilt with a really neat on point layout (you can read about it here).
I'm participating in Busy Hands Quilt's Splash of Color QAL and we're now in Step 3--cutting the fabric (you can read about it here).  My quilt is going to be made up of 6" Tessellating Pinwheel blocks and thankfully I was able to die-cut the patches.  I've never made a quilt with this pattern so I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
My Granddaughter Micah Rose loves black and white patterns and colors so you know who is going to be receiving the Splash of Color Quilt.  A Granddaughter of a quilter can never have enough quilts especially when she already loves fabric.
Now back to finishing up the six baby quilts; I have two tops done and will be working on number three. But first, I really need to clean up my studio but afraid, in the midst of putting things away, I might come across another project to distract me.  Here's to wearing blinders during clean up and staying focused because these baby quilts need to get finished.

Linking up with: My Quilt Infatuation, Thursday Needle and Thread, Crazy Mom's Finish It Up Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop Friday, and Busy Hands Quilts, Finish or Not Friday

17 comments :

  1. I think you still got a lot done. Your list was big! The splash of color fabrics look great and I can't wait to see those cute baby quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I finally cleaned my studio and I've now finished three tops--hopefully I can sew the next three tops this week and start sewing some Splash blocks.

      Delete
  2. Your fabrics and blocks are pretty. Yes, you sure are accomplishing a lot. Well, there is really no such thing as having/making too many quilts, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, I feel you. Starting on one thing in the morning and never returning to it that day, all for good reason. Like go to change the laundry and you walk by the refrigerator and need to grab something to snack on, then you spot something on the floor and go for the vacuum, but remember you needed to make a call, but need your glasses so go to look or them and then end up with your purse, that needs a good cleaning, since you can't find your glasses in your bag!!! The list goes on and on and I can't remember where I started. But it is all good since I can still do it all or so I think.

    Glad you have such a great list. Can't wait to see how your splash of color works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I know you?.......ha ha, I tell you my mind can do strange things especially when quilting is involved. I've behaved myself and finally cleaned up the studio and even finished the first baby quilt top. We visited the granddaughter this weekend and it was very nice coming home to an organized studio. It should be a mess again by tomorrow. I should write a list to stay focused this week; my luck I'll probably lost it once it's written.

      Delete
  4. I have been there - getting distracted while I am being sidetracked. However, when there is a project that just grabs you and has to be done before anything else, it is almost always a masterpiece. Looks like you have yourself a Dreami.
    Wish you all the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preeti! I like the word sidetrack and certainly could have used it when writing this post. I'm going to stay on track this week, at least that's my intention.

      Delete
  5. Love all your colorful photos, Rose! But my fav is that adorbs granddaughter photo! Oh my, she looks happy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I visited my granddaughter this weekend and she is happy and cute but oh so tough now, I don't know how this happened but she's going to be a handful. It was hard to leave her though. She would be one big distraction in my studio.

      Delete
  6. Wait -- you like to work with wool too?! We are related, I think! I do think you had a very productive week, despite getting interrupted from the original goal (and you're back to that, so it's all good). I'm still drooling over your wool projects. I love the grinning cat! And I think we all want to snuggle your beautiful granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Wendy! We can talk about Wool anytime, I love it and don't work with it enough. But when I do that's all I want to do but it seems there's only a certain time of year I want to do it. Definitely can't do it in the summer. I'm looking at future projects now but of course it has to wait until the baby quilts are done.

      Delete
  7. DIP...I love it! Yup, that's how a lot of us operate, isn't it? Lots of good stuff going on in your studio, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. There's definitely too many good stuff going on in the studio; I'm never at a lost with having anything to do.

      Delete
  8. I'm loving that stash of fabric you have ready for A Splash of Color. It is going to be great, I can feel it already! I really like your wool applique quilt top, it is so unique looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I can't wait to start sewing some more Splash blocks so I can get an idea of how the quilt is going to look. I hope it doesn't hurt the eyes. Wool work is nice; I think you would like it.

      Delete
  9. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited. Thank you…
    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.