Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017: My Wonderful Year in Review

This is my fourth post in the past six days and I promise you it's my last one for the year. As I was preparing to write my final post for 2017; my year in review post, I was trying to decide which photo to use and when I went to check to see what I did for my 2016 post, I saw that I did not include an opening photo.  So, thankfully, I was inspired by the collage which Shannon of The Fleming Nines did for her review and lucky for me I happened to have completed twenty-four quilts this year and voila' I was able to fill a twenty-five space collage.  Thank you PicMonkey!

And now for the stats:

Finally Finished:
  • 24 Quilts: Fourteen were new projects and ten were from previous years 
  • 5 Wallhangings:  My Front Door and staircase thanked me
  • 1 Baby Quilt Gift
  • 12 Baby Quilts for the Blanket Ministry

And a special stats section for the Micah Makes:

  • 1 Baby Quilt
  • 4 Patchwork Blankies ( I like to mention that I did not have the chance to snuggle with her under her Christmas blankie and you can see why).  My intention of making it bigger for the both of us went to the wayside.
  • 3 Play Mats
  • Burp Cloths
  • Teething Ring Holders
  • Baby Owls for Shower Favors

Flimsy Stage:
  • 2 Quilts
  • 2 Wallhanging

I have other small projects which I did not list but here's a link to my 2017 page  (you can see them here) if you would like to see photos of everything, well almost everything.  I didn't include photos of my road projects since they're in a continual stage.

I also like to mention that I participated in three QAL's (Freefall, Twelve Days of Christmas and A Splash of Color) and finished all of the projects but I failed miserably in the fourth one which was the I Wish You A Merry Christmas.  I really wanted to participate, to support my fellow bee bloggers whom I met in the New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop this year but my hands wouldn't do the appliqué and in hindsight, I wished I had because they really put together a beautiful quilt.  

And another important stat is that I met my Minus 100 Yard Challenge and ended it with -105 yards and would not have made this goal without a few fabric gifts sent, donations and the wherewithal to include a rule that fabric gifts and sampler boxes did not count.  I won't be doing this challenge in 2018 but instead will do a 100 yard purge.  I wish shipping rates were more cost friendly because I know who I would like to send a package to.  I might have an idea up my sleeve now that I'm typing this, details are now being worked out in my head.

It's been a most wonderful year filled with good energy, creations and good memories.  A lot of special things happened to me, the most important one being that I became a first time Grandmother to the most precious Micah Rose and now belong to the club whose members claim they have the very best grandchild.  I am considering making a run to be the president of this fictitious club.  And another one would be that I became a better blogger and made new friends who are now near and dear to my heart.  If I were granted a big quilty wish, it would be to gather all of us together and have one great quilt retreat somewhere wonderful.  We would have to inform the local quilt shop and law enforcement of our arrival because there are a few of my blogger buddies and a FB buddy/sista whom I can get in trouble with, oh who am I kidding,  there's a whole lot of them.  

It's time to call it a year, a most wonderful year and I couldn't ask or make anything more.  I would gladly take a repeat for 2018 which my plans are already filling up with good projects. I've  been making lists all week, on paper and in my head,  which I will share for my post for the new year.

Wishing you a Blessed and Happy New Year!  Stay warm if you're in the northern hemisphere.

21 comments :

  1. I think you would be a great president of the best grandchild club! And if I could kick all my kids out for a few days, I'd love to have you and lots of others come quilt. Maybe that's a dream, but I think I'll keep it on the list. Dreams can come true! You've made loads of beautiful quilts and now I must go see the ones from the first of the year that I missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Happy New Year. A retreat would be so much fun, wouldn't it. I'm already getting busy and die-cutting some quilts. Have a good week.

      Delete
  2. You have had a fabulous year! I can't believe the number of quilts you have completed. Thank you for letting me take some of your fabric off your hands. You are a keeper Rose. Wishing you a happy healthy quilting 2018, from your problem sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! I'm hoping I have the same energy this year; I'm already die-cutting Regatta and a baby quilt; the die-cutter was busy today. Thanks for being a willing recipient. Also wishing you a healthy and very Happy New Year. Hey sign up for the new blog hop is Feb. 1st. I wonder if we're banned.

      Delete
  3. You've accomplished a lot in 2017! Congratulations on bring a first time grandmother, hopefully you'll have more to come. I'm so happy I met you through the blog hop this year, you've been an amazing friend, and we should totally try to join a quilt retreat together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! It was wonderful getting to know you this year and yes, we need to get together, we're practically neighbors. Maybe there will be some good classes in Rosemont this year. Happy New Year and stay warm.

      Delete
  4. A truly beaustiful year. Welcome to the best grandchild club. She is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! It's the best club isn't it. Have a great New Year!

      Delete
  5. You have had a great year, Rose! So many good things, beautiful quilts, a beautiful granddaughter, and all your quilty activities! I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you this year! Wouldn't that retreat be fun!!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! It's been a great year of quilting and meeting wonderful blog friends like you. And yes, a retreat would be fun, I'll have to rent a tractor trailer to bring my stash and equipment.

      Delete
  6. A terrific year was had by you, Rose! I love the collage of your quilts and so enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you. I am thrilled that Micah Rose has her own section - so wonderful to have a grandchild! Retreat....get together at a show....got do it! It might take a year to plan but I bet we can figure something out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! It was great getting to know you and we sure had fun this year. Wish we lived closer but that's why there's blogland which gives us the illusion that we're just down the street from each other. A retreat or a show get together would be fun. One day hubby and I will get to the East Coast, it's on our trip list.

      Delete
  7. You are a dynamo Rose, and generous too! How do you find the time? All such lovely quilts and other makes! By the way, you have the best granddaughter, I have the best grandson!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz! I'm lucky to have been able to find the time to make these quilts: I may not if Micah lived in the same city as me, she's four hours away and if we didn't have to board our dogs we would see her more often. This year, our grandparent's pad in Micah's parents house is done so now we only have the boarding expense and no longer the hotel so we should see her more now. It was nice being able to stay in the house with her. Maybe our grandchildren should meet each other someday.

      Delete
  8. So many lovely quilt finishes! And one fantastic new life beginning! I didn't know her middle name was Rose, what a wonderful connection to her Very Best Grandmother in the Whole World :) Here's to another great year, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I love that Micah's middle name is Rose. My other son named his dog, a blonde French Dog who may have pit-bull mix named her Daisy because he wanted to give her a flower name for me. Hope you have a great year, btw, do you want to do a Haphazard quilt together this summer. I'm trying to get Liz to do an unofficial QAL.

      Delete
  9. Love your opening collage!!! I would definitely vote for you for president. And count me in for the retreat. Happy new year, Rose, and here's to another quilty year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! A retreat would be fun wouldn't it? Happy New Year to you and a wonderful quilty year.

      Delete
  10. Rose, there is so much beauty and joy in your quilts. You have been an inspiration to me. I am sure that you will continue your exceptional work in the new year and I will be sure to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Pretti, you always write the most sweetest comments. I can say the same for you also plus you write the best posts. I hope you have a good year of sewing and I'll be visiting your blog too.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great year. It was fun seeing your quilts all together in one place. And a big congratulations on becoming a doting grandma. My dad called my mom a SOGWPIP: silly old grandma with pictures in purse, but it could easily be swapped to end with POP pictures on phone. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.