Wednesday, December 27, 2017

something rosemade: Quilty Confessions--UFO Additions

I'm back again with another post already since I've joined another linky party. Tish of Tish's Adventures In Wonderland is hosting a linky party for those of us who wish to make a quilty confessions as to the number of UFO projects which are lurking around our sewing spaces.   I find it very admirable that Tish created an Excel spreadsheet listing all of her UFOs. I used to keep a spreadsheet of all of my quilting activities but stopped doing this around five years ago.  I'm good with what are my quilty secrets are and I commented to Tish when she posted about this that I was going to plead the Fifth, sort of. I've been quilting for over twenty years now and there are some projects which were started in the 20th Century and are still languishing with possibly no chance of seeing the light of completion.  Sometimes I feel a thorn in my quilty side and I'll just finally finish one of these projects and this year I've completed several of them.  I decided that 2018 is going to be my year of making it easy because my modus operandi for quilting is not to let it make me crazy but to give me joy.  I will offer, though, a few quilting confessions:
  • the log cabin quilt for my sister-in-law which I started after I became quilter, at the most, there are ten blocks done and I need ten more to make a decent lap quilt.  Think navy and maroon calico bought from Joann's in the late 1990's  and you'll understand why I'm not in a hurry to finish it but am still attached enough that I don't want to donate it.  I believe one day calico is going to make a big comeback or will be considered vintage and I'll have a stash to be envied. I did make her another quilt in Thimbleberries fabrics over ten years ago to make up for this UFO.
  • the Block of the Month from Hell with the various sized blocks and techniques started over ten years ago and I only have a few blocks remaining before the tops can be completed.  I thinking of maybe making two quilts instead with the completed blocks; one with the pieced blocks and the other one with the appliquéd blocks.  Considering that appliqué is my least favorite technique, you can guess the other quilt top will be finished first if I ever feel the thorn.
  • the two Blooming Nine Patch Baby Quilt tops, one blue and the other yellow, which were made for the arrival of my two grandnieces who were born months of each other and will now be graduating from High School next year.  Once again to ease the UFO guilt, I did make each of them a bed quilt several years ago. I'm saving the tops for these grandnieces' future bundle of joy. 
So rather than list all of my UFOs (really it would be like opening Hades Box but maybe only scary for me)  I thought I would instead list twelve UFOs I plan to finish in 2018.  I have already assigned them a number and will pull a number at the beginning of each month to decide which UFO I will complete for that month but then I may change the rule and draw another number if there's another project I rather do.   There's no fun in doing a project if you're not in the right mood.  So with further gotta do, here are my twelve UFO projects for 2018:

# 1 Bible Quilt:  blocks completed, top to be assembled
#2  Strawberry Fields:  top completed, machine quilt
#3  Meadowbloom:  top completed, machine quilt
#4  Japanese Homespun 3-patch:  top completed, machine quilt 
#5  I Love London:  top completed, machine quilt 
#6  Dogma:  top completed, machine quilt 
#7  Tik Tok:  top completed, machine quilt 
#8  Cotton + Steel Stacked Squares:  blocks completed, top to be assembled
#9  Road 15 Table Topper:  top completed, machine quilt 
#10 Crazy Mom June QAL:  top completed, machine quilt 
#11 Scrap Vortex II:  top completed, machine quilt 
#12  Kaffe Fassett Zig Zag Patchwork Coverlet:  machine quilt

I will confess that these projects are ones which I have worked on during the past few years and none of them have been fermenting for too long.  I chose to work on the ones I know will bring me joy rather than relief when they are finished during my year of making it easy.  Ten out of the twelve projects will involve machine quilting and since I've been poring over Christa Watson's books this past week, I'm pretty excited to try something new with my machine quilting.

Another reason for only listing twelve UFO's is that I will be starting the New Year with participating in at least three QALs or Sew Alongs, (My Quilt Infatuation's Classic Meets Modern QAL, (you can read about it here), Christa Watson's Squiggles QAL, (you can read about it here) and Roseanne of Home Sewn By Us Regatta Sew Along, (you can read about it here) with another one coming up in the Spring which Sandra of MMM Quilts will be hosting a Shadow Quilt Along, (you can read about it here).  Then there are some quilts to be gifted:  a baby quilt to be done in January, a Minecraft Quilt for a grandnephew and a promised quilt for the grand cousin as well as several quilts for the granddaughter.   Also, there are the planned projects which can be turned into DREAMi if I decide to take a break from the "have-to-do" project and make something with some of the fabric stash which has been brewing like Tula Pink, Karen Lewis, Malka Dubrawskey, Marcia Derse, SUCH Design, Janet Clare, new Cotton + Steel, my Christmas gift of Alison Glass Chroma, etc.

Yes, I'm going to be busy in 2018 and wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm more productive when I have a list of projects to choose from but always allow myself for some deviation or what I call que sera, sera quilting which is very important for my year of making it easy.  I hope you consider joining Quilty Confession Linky Party because they say the more the merrier and there's no better way to quilt than to be happy.

Linking up with Tish, Adventures in Wonderland

18 comments :

  1. I love that 2018 is the year of making it easy! After all, our hobby should be fun and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Quilting should be happy times although a little crying and screaming should be expected especially when you do a Kingwell pattern. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Quilts! Can't wait to see the finishes! Good luck with Machine Quilting, Christa Watson is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I've gotten a little bit better and more at ease with machine quilting this year and am looking forward to trying some of Christa's techniques. I really am enjoying looking at her books this week; there are several patterns I want to make, time permitting.

      Delete
  3. Great list! You can do it! I like being busy too and being able to choose what I work on from a small assortment of projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I've been doing some more planning while trying to finally quilt my Splash of Color. Hopefully, I can finish it this weekend. I am looking forward to working on my list next year.

      Delete
  4. Rose it is such a great list. I must confess, I have no WIPs. Everything is done and I look forward to joining you on a few of the QALs. Wishing you a happy, healthy, sewing 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just about fell off my chair when I read that you didn't have any WIP. What act of quilt evil can I do to change this; I have your address, I should have other quilters send you their UFOs, ha ha. You are disciplined, very admirable quality which not too many quilters have, I think. I can't wait to start on the QALs with the Bee Sisters. Wishing you a happy, healthy sewing in 2018 too!

      Delete
  5. Rose, I am sighing with relief that someone else has tops that have fermented a bit longer than we thought (right?). I'm working on my post, and really need to get my wiggle on. I'm not sure I'd have any calico to match your UFO, but I'm pretty sure I'd have some other fabric that would fall in the same category. One UFO of mine is very old, but you'll just have to wait to hear about that one. Haha. This is a great list and a good way to plan out your year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Hurry up and get your wiggle on because I want to see your fermented UFO. I'm still making more lists and trying to machine quilt one more before I call it a year.

      Delete
  6. Aw, so happy to see my name on your list of QALs! And yay for you for making it easy. Love that. We'll cheer each other on! I like your draw a number idea, might do that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I'm ready for your QAL because I don't think I'm going to have any problems getting the pattern to print out right this time, I now know that I have to open it in Adobe which I didn't do with Freefall and that's why I had to make my own foundation pieces. I'm going to have other lists for 2018 and getting my number jar ready. Great idea for cheering each other on next year.

      Delete
  7. I whole heartedly believe calico will make a come back. I have been known to sneak it into a quilt whenever I can ;) I remember you were very productive finishing up several older projects this year and I have no doubt you will be enjoying more this year. I look forward to seeing those finishes and cheering you on! Thanks for playing along, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tish! Maybe we can do a Calico Comeback QAL, wouldn't that be special. I have a big bin of it and just can't part with it Also, thanks for hosting this Linky party, confession is good for the quilty as well as the guilty soul. I'm looking forward to finishing up my UFOs in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly have plenty to keep you busy Rose! I LOVE the Crazy Mom's quilt with that b/w gingham and green spots! I would be rushing to have that one finished if it was left to me! I think I will make a plan for 2018, although my WIPs list is not that big! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suz! I had intended to machine quilt the June Quilt sooner but was having problems with choosing a backing. I was debating between doing a pieced back which is not one of my favorite things to do and finally broke down and bought a fun backing which I think is perfect. I do plan on quilting it in 2018.

      Delete
  10. You do have a great list! I too have the 20+ year problem for quilting and a list of 30 some projects/collections/UFOs. I think today I am going to sort them a few ways and come up with my 12 for APQ resolution, and maybe think about doing this one simultaneously. I only committed to one QAL until I know what the shape of the year will be (one thing looming that could add one project a month to my list). I love that we had so much fun this year and can’t wait to see the results in 2018! Off to order that sizzix.....I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kathleen. I have to compile my year end review and get my 2018 projects in order. I'm already tired. Let me know if and when you receive your Sizzix; I found an extra 2.5" square die in my inventory and it has your name on it. Have a fun New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.