Monday, September 17, 2018

I Keep Throwing Along: Patchwork Throw #4

Yep, I made another patchwork throw; the three made within the last few weeks was not enough.  Truth is I needed to make this one after my Hubby's surgery last week after realizing that the other patchwork throws I made were just not the right size or were not meant for my use.  I needed one small enough to cover my lap while sitting in the hospital waiting room which I knew would be too cold for my newly acquired Senior Citizen body so I was resolved to make one when we returned home.  While Hubby was recovering sitting in the family room, I stayed upstairs and made this while sewing in the dining room.  I needed to be close by if case he needed anything or if someone came knocking at the door which always happens when you can't get out of the chair.  Before I continue with this post, surgery went very well and Hubby was feeling like his old (literally and figuratively) self in a few days; in fact, he said he hasn't felt this good for awhile since the hernia was really bothering him for the past few months.  
I can say that this patchwork throw was ready to be made; I already had the right scraps already cut to 8-1/2" wide strips mostly from my C+S Coin QuiltErnie Interrupts Quilt and Unruly Quilt along with leftover patches of some of my favorite Tammis Keefe, Lotta Jansdotter, and of course, Cotton + Steel prints.  Since I wanted to make this a smaller patchwork throw, it was quickly sewn together by sewing five rows of the 8-1/2" strip sets and patches 'ala Scrap Vortex style until the desired length of 60" long; this was a quickie.
Another reason for making this throw 40" x 60" is that I wanted to use this IKEA fleece throw purchased many years ago for just $2.49 and no longer available. I'm using this with some trepidation since the washing instructions are, wash in warm water, gentle cycle, do not dry or iron which makes me wonder if this fleece can't handle heat and might melt or disintegrate.  So, if I'm going to use this, I might as well be the guinea pig and of course will follow the washing instructions. This fleece is very lightweight, almost like flannel, and if you hold it up to the light, you can see the top but that doesn't bother me, just the possibility that I really didn't want to make a disposable throw.  We'll see and hopefully I can't report later about this patchwork throw after I wash it, but first I'm going to use it for awhile.  It is such a cute and modern print.
I did some daredevil machine quilting with straight and wave lines by only basting the top with flowerhead pins.  I know I could have spray basted, I have never done this yet, but didn't want to wash it for reasons stated above.  The fleece did sew very nicely and I didn't experience any problems.
What I love about my latest patchwork throw is that I'm once again using my beloved scraps and laughing at this Tammis Keefe print which you can see why it didn't make the "cut, for the quilt since Mama Kitty's head went missing but I thought it was okay for the throw.
Also, I used one of the prints for the binding, red newsprint from Carrie Bloomston's Paint fabric line and I love seeing the words appearing around the throw and thinking of using more text prints for binding.
As you can see, the lightness and size of this patchwork throw can be easily rolled up in case you need a pillow and fits in my hand so I can take a photo of it with my other hand.  Okay, I do have large hands.
Seriously, with Florence happening last week and people having to evacuate, it made me think this patchwork throw is small enough to throw in my bag if needed which I pray I never will.  I'll be leaving this where I can quickly find it.  Also, if I can find a suitable fleece, (I'm really hoping the IKEA fleece will wash fine)  I'll be making more of this size to give.

Unfortunately, National Jelly Roll Day fell on the 15th this month which is the day I always set aside to work on my QALs:

Classic Meets Modern hosted by Kelly, My Quilt Infatuation
The 12" Squash Blossom and Eccentric Stars were so fun to sew and they may be my favorite blocks so far.
Next month, the last two blocks will be made and then in November we will sew the filler blocks before the top can be assembled and finished by December.  I really love this quilt along; I'm using skills long neglected like patience and paying attention to details and my seam ripper is my Studio Pet.
Fireburst Mystery hosted by Tish's Adventure in Wonderland

Block #2, four blocks are finished and I am up to date.  Would you believe these took the majority of my day to make--I had to read the instructions nice and slow and SeƱor Sudio Pet was very helpful.
Last but not the least, I finally finished the fabric flash cards made from an Einstein Baby Genius panel.  I originally was going to make a quilt sooner but had an epiphany that granddaughter Micah has enough quilts for now and can play with these fabric flash cards when she is at my house since I realized that I hardly have any toys for her here.  Another reason why they're staying at my house is because these cards were pretty labor intensive and I could have made at least two-three patchwork throws for the time it took me to make these fabric flash cards, these need to stay here so they don't get lost with her other toys.  Of course, I may change my mind if she really wants to take them home. What sound does an unhappy Grandma makes when her hard work gets lost.  Grrrrrrrrr with a smile of course.
And speaking of epiphanies, I had one while I was doing upstairs sewing in the dining room, the formal dining room with the Queen Anne furniture, dark and heavy.  This room also houses a lot of my finished quilts and with the thought of moving the desktop computer back to the dining room for various reasons, I thought I could turn the dining room into a FORMAL sewing studio.  My regular studio, or soon to be renamed my informal sewing studio, will still be downstairs in the basement.  It would involve no furniture moving or purchase, I would just need to pack up the never used China from the cabinet and buffet which would be replaced by lovely bundles of fabric stash never used or to be purchased.  Pretty good idea but of course I would have to wait until Hubby recovers from his surgery which depending upon how much he's on board with this idea may not happen for another five years.  Hee Hee, one can dream and scheme, right.

10 comments :

  1. You are a little steam engine with all the quilts and baby books you've been finishing lately! The books are so cute and I love that they are made with fabric. Perfect for a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little quilt, and think it's perfect for you! I didn't realize Carrie Bloomston's print came in red! Ohhh! As you make the house become your grand-most-formal quilt studio, be sure to leave Hubby a comfortable little space. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a handy, sweet quilt, Rose! I'd like to make some in that size. Fun, fun quilt cards! Glad to hear Mr. Rose is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear your husband's surgery went well and that he's feeling so much better! Hooray!! Your personal throw is very fun with all the various scraps. I can see why you liked that Ikea throw, such a neat squiggly design :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy! Glad to hear your husband is healing and you are finding lots of time to sew. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose you are one very productive quilter! You mentioned you set aside the 15th for your QAL projects. Do you organize your time in any other ways? That made me curious because I am not all that productive. I know I just need to be more organized but I guess that is easier said than done. Happy to hear your husband is on the mend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my yes, a formal sewing room would be wonderful! Don't take all the china out of the cupboards as you might want to have quilters over for tea and stitching! Love all your projects. Glad to hear your husband is on the mend. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the novelty prints in your throw! Sounds like your husband had the same surgery my husband just had. I didn't think of bringing a blanket for me in the waiting room! I did have some EPP with me to keep my hands busy during the hours of waiting. I hope your husband has a pain-free recovery. Love those fabric flash cards! I do like coming up with easy fabric toys to make since a kid only needs so many quilts. I don't think Micah is at the using a pillow stage, but pillowcases are one of my favorites for my son and niece, both almost 5. It's easy to make a pillowcase with whatever they are into, and they can be changed out whenever needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rose! I'm glad to hear DH is recovering well from his surgery!! And I love all of these quick throws you're whipping up lately. Those flashcards are FABULOUS!! So very, very cute. Micah will love them. You know, I would have been very tempted to sewing on the stippling line on that fleece from Ikea, instead of quilting from the front! You'll have to let me know how this fabric holds up. We finally have an IKEA near us - I never knew they even had fabric. Happy sewing! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just an energizer bunny getting quilts done. Your flash card are adorable. I'm glad you tested out that fleece from IKEA. You will definitely need to give us an update report in a few months.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.