Monday, December 31, 2018

Here's Looking at 2018


I've been reflecting on my last post of 2018 for the past few days and realizing it's New Year's Eve, now is the time to write a post especially after reading the other reviews and planning post. I don't want to be late or a no show in joining the other end-of-year posts. But before I do my review, I thought I should briefly write about my final quilt/throws for 2019 which were Christmas gifts for my granddaughter Micah and her parents.
Micah's Patchwork Blankie features yardage of a Finding Dory print backed with the prettiest teal Minkee plush which was put together quickly in time to be gifted when Micah came to visit during Christmas.  It was my oldest son's idea (Demando of the Slinky Quilt fame) who had the bright idea when he saw this print in my studio that I should make a quilt for Micah to go along with the Hank Octopus toy (sitting on the ladder, top right) he would purchase.  As you can see there's not a whole lot of Hank, smaller than a beanie baby, who arrived after the blankie was finished.  I told Demando I could have just made a mug rug instead but according to Demando, his niece likes a toy she can hold in her hand.  Besides a Quilt Detective, he's now a Toy Expert.
Last year when I was visiting Micah's house during Christmas, I realized that I've never made her family a Christmas quilt so I planned to make one using most of my Sandy Gervais Holly Jolly collection and other fabrics from her Christmas line.  Since I was short on time, my plan was to back it with the green plush polka dot fabric but I wanted it to feel more substantial so I put fleece in between which makes for a very heavy quilt.  I used fleece before in between before for the usual cotton tops and backs but paired with the plush it makes a very warm and soft and heavy quilt. I thought Micah's parents would not appreciate it but turns out that Micah likes sleeping on top of it with the plush side against her body.  It's not the first time with her family that the backing was preferred over the top.  By the way, this quilt was made with all different size strips and made like my Staggered Strip pattern which you will see more of later in this post.

And now for the review of the 35 projects for 2018, which 33 are finally finished and two are flimsies, which seems to have fallen into categories/groupings or phases.

I participated in eight QALS which six of the quilts are finally finished:
Postcards from Sweden
Wishi Washi, Dot is Crazy
Squiggles, Regatta, Adult Playtime Plus

and two are flimsies for very good reasons:
The Classic Meets Modern hosted by My Quilt Infatuation quilt completion date is January 15 so I'm pretty sure this quilt will be my first finish for 2019.

                           
My Fireburst Mystery Quilt hosted by Tish in Wonderland is still in a "I Don't Know How to Quilt It Yet" phase and I was also distracted with having to complete the two Christmas quilts.  Hopefully, I will finish it in 2019 because I think this would look nice in my son's house.
                                Spa SpurtsKaffe Fassett Ernie Quilt, Hinto Minto Quilt
                                Smiling Sloths, Big Cat Crossing ,Echinacea
My favorite pattern seems to be any using 2.5" strips since I made six quilts including my Staggered Strips and Squares pattern which I made four variations of it. These quilts were made possible by my die-cutting and 2.5" strip die.
Four Baby Quilts were made and I used the Jungle Boardwalk pattern I created for the 30 Blocks in 30 Days Blog Hop.  It's a great pattern to use for the focal prints and for future Chicago Cubs fans.  As for the Mauve-lous Panda Quilt, I couldn't bear to cut up the very cute Panda print.
Besides the two Christmas quilts backed with plush fabrics, five other quilts were plush-backed and I have to admit I am now a big fan of making patchwork throws now.  It's a quick finish since light quilting is done and they make good snugglers.  I should admit now that my stash of plushes have increased so I am pretty sure I'll be doing more of these in 2019.
Going clockwise from the top left:
Slinky, Stacked Squares, June Quilt and Kaffe Fassett  Appliquéd Flowers
And these four quilts which three were UFOS and one refusing to be one (Slinky) since it needed to be finished now and not later.
Last but not least, are the Micah Makes which does not include her Christmas Quilt nor the other Christmas Quilt made for her parents but decided it should be hers also.  As for being my only grandchild and long anticipated granddaughter she has this right and also to interrupt any project I may be working on.
Until my accident in October which involved wearing a knee brace for six weeks and curtailing for sewing somewhat, I had a pretty good track record for finishing anything I started with the exception of the two QAL which had a later deadline.  With that being said, these projects are now part of my 2019 UFOs. (you can read about it here)
In reviewing my 2018 "production", I'm more than happy but when comparing it to my project lists, only 20 of them were planned and 15 of them can be considered "DrEAMi"--the Squirrel is strong in my studio.  I'm good at making plans and even better at not following them so I've decided in 2019 that my best laid plans are not to make them.  Although I enjoy making lists while watching the Rose Bowl Parade, an annual tradition, I don't think my planning will be as intense as in years past.  Last year was "making it easy" and this year will be "taking it easy" with few commitments and resolutions.  The one commitment I will make for 2019 will be to resume making baby quilts for the Blanket Ministry at my Church and the one resolution will be to once again repeat the 2017 Fabric Fast by decreasing my stash by 100 yards.  I have enough projects to do with this year's UFO's and the ones on my 2017 lists to keep me busy and focused.

Now that my end-of-year post is finally finished, it's time to partake in a very quiet New Year's Eve observance.  In the past, we have always celebrated with my two peeps and their husbands but this year's has been postponed until the one peep's new house is ready for entertainment.  Since rain and icy roads are predicted in my neck of the words, I do appreciate not having to travel tonight.

Wishing all of my friends and fellow bloggers a very and safe Happy New Year filled with blessings, good health, amazing energy, laughs, etc.  I'm looking forward to seeing what 2019 brings.

12 comments :

  1. My head is spinning. 35plus projects. How do you do it?!! The joy shows through, Rose. I have to say, Demando was right-on with that idea for the blankie, though, but don't tell him, okay? Have a wonderfully quiet New Year's Eve celebration. As you can tell from my sitting here going down the blog-reading rabbit hole, our celebration is muted, too. That's fine with me, although some reveler nearby just about popped me out of my chair just now with a big-time firework. Have a fun new year, Rose. Quilty new year goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t think you need to make plans Rose! You get plenty done, as your lovely finishes show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a very productive year despite being hurt. There are so many quilts up there I love! And a few I would love to make myself. Here's to have a wonderful 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this post was really fun to read, Rose! What a year you have had! That snafu with the knee sure didn't slow you down too much either! I'm all for not making plans. Like you, I enjoy making lists, but I am not good at sticking with them. I think the squirrels in our quilt rooms might be related . . . Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - you have been a busy girl! So fun to see the year in review. Happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rose! What an amazing collection of finishes for one year. And Micah - well, of course she would like to have the minky side on her body! That feels so darn nice, doesn't it?!! I had to laugh right out loud about your son being a toy expert as well as a quilt detective! That's quite the talent! I hope your knee is feeling much better now?! I don't have any huge quilting plans for 2019 other than keeping up with my first Bee Hive blocks. Happy New Year to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of finishes! To actually see it in numbers is amazing. Sounds like a great year for you and I look forward to seeing what you do next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Rose! I'm amazed at what you accomplished in a year, especially considering you were injured for the last quarter! Oh, and I LOVE your fireburst!!! You will figure out just the right quilting for it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many colorful quilts!!! I love all your strip quilts. That knee didn’t hold you back in the big picture of 2018! Happy new year, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Rose: That is a lot of quiltmaking and quilting for one year! You did an amazing job on all of them. I hope you had a wonderful New Years Eve and that 2019 is good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a great year of quilting, Rose! So many bright and happy finishes in your signature styles. Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, Rose, I'm so impressed with all your finishes this year especially considering you were incapacitated for six weeks! They're a gorgeous collection of quilts!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but due to traveling and my ineptitude with typing on either my iPhone or iPad, my response may be somewhat delayed. Thank You for your understanding.